Noise in H8000FW GenderBender preset

Home Forums Products Rackmount Noise in H8000FW GenderBender preset

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      minorguy

I just bought a used H8000FW and I’ve been checking it out to make sure everything works correctly. Everything seems fine so far except for one strange thing. When I tried the GenderBender preset (#8113) it sounds like there is some kind of noise like feedback or regeneritive gobbledegook going on. It’s so loud compared to the actually signal that the preset is not usable. I thought it might have been caused by my routing setup but I checked and I don’t seem to have any loops. It happens whether I use ADAT inputs or analog inputs. When using analog, if I unplug the input cable it stops (or switch the input within the preset to an unused input). Is this normal? Any idea what’s going on?

Thanks,

Jim

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry for lack of reply. I don't have an H8000 with me, but will reply early in the NY.

minorguy

Thanks. Pardon the novice questions but I’m new to the H8000FW. smiley  There are also some other presets I have a question about. Particularly the Black Hole preset. If I plug in a clean electric guitar and play chords, I start to get digital distortion, like fuzz, when the input signal gets to four or five green LEDs, well below the yellow. I wonder if someone could confirm that this is just the way the algorithm is. I suspect it is because when I do a bypass (DSP) on the H8000FW, there is no distortion at the same level. Some other reverb presets are the same way but less. And all other presets are fine. I guess it should be obvious that it can’t be a problem with my particular unit because hardware problems would apply to all presets, and software either works or it doesn’t. But I just feel better getting some confirmation. I don’t know what to expect from the H8000FW.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Had a listen to 8113 – it does make a few pops, but not as you describe. My guess is that you have a feedback loop somewhere. Why it seems to happen with this preset in particular is unclear.

Your Blackhole problem is probably caused by the fact that there is an enormous amount of recirculation inside the effect, which means that it is very easy to overload it. This could be fixed by reducing the signal level into it, and increasing the gain on the output by the same amount. You could do this with the controls, or by using Vsig to change the preset (some study required).,

minorguy

Hi Nick,

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out. The BlackHole thing is understandable and if it makes sense to you that it could happen that’s fine.

I’m still baffled by the GenderBender preset, though, if you cannot reproduce it. I’ve tried various things and don’t see any way there could be feedback caused externally. And I use the factory routings for ADAT and Analog.  It’s strange in that it works kind of like there’s a gate, or the low end of an expander, or something—if I speak into it the noise stops during that time. Then restarts when I stop speaking. But there is no noise when nothing is plugged in except for the occasional random chirp as I think you heard. Anyway, I’ll forget it for now and maybe later I’ll look into the VSig and possibly I’ll be able to experiment to narrow it down.

Thanks again for your effort!

Jim

Jroebker

Hi Jim / Nick,

I know this thread is old but I’m wondering if you ever learned any more about this. I’m in the same position. Just bought a used H7600 nd trying to make sure it’s working alright.

Mine’s also got some digital artifacts in the Gender Bender preset, and, more annoyingly, some clip-like noise on the bigger presets like Black Hole. Even at modest levels (-10 on the output meter). Otherwise, it works great.

Did you ever figure out if this is normal or not?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry guys – not a lot more I can say.

If you have a second-hand machine, it may have unknown problems. People sometimes sell things rather than fix them, and surprisingly, often fail to mention any issues.

These boxes may have well over 1000 presets, so it is likely that a small number of them are either broken or unsuitable for a given source material. Given the wide range of alternatives, and a desire to keep things stable, we do not rush to repair or change them.

minorguy

I didn’t spend any more time with it. In VSig, the GenderBender preset is mainly made from the SourceAnalyzer/Ultrashifter modules which seem kind of black box and aren’t documented much. I didn’t try to experiment with it. The seller I bought my H8000FW from had it serviced at Eventide just before, so it’s less likely I have a hardware problem.

At least I’m not the only one who noticed it. I guess everyone else only cares about the reverbs and no one is trying to use it to sing the high female backing vocals in their songs.:)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.