Omnipressor sound

Home Forums Products Rackmount Omnipressor sound

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

So I set up the omnipressor to parallel compress a drum bus and things sounded really phasey. I’m in studio one and certain I pinged for latency and no other comp did this. I futzed with some of the settings but couldn’t really wash it out. Is that just how this algo sounds? Something maybe I missed? Sends from every drum channel were full on and my mix was set to 100%. All the other comps I tried sounded really nice.
      Further latency question: should I ping for latency upon connecting the I/O or will different algos introduce different values? I know adding an algo to the chain changes things, but one for one, once I ping, Will this value ever change?

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:
      So I set up the omnipressor to parallel compress a drum bus and things sounded really phasey. I’m in studio one and certain I pinged for latency and no other comp did this. I futzed with some of the settings but couldn’t really wash it out. Is that just how this algo sounds? Something maybe I missed? Sends from every drum channel were full on and my mix was set to 100%. All the other comps I tried sounded really nice. Further latency question: should I ping for latency upon connecting the I/O or will different algos introduce different values? I know adding an algo to the chain changes things, but one for one, once I ping, Will this value ever change?

The latency of the audio buffering in the FX chain is, as you say, dependent on the structure of the chain.  We intend to add a feature to fix this latency because this will make DAW integration easier.  At the moment, we keep it to the minimum possible given the configuration.

Some algorithms have inherent latency in addition to the buffering latency.  So if you ping, you might find the overall round trip latency changes depending on which algorithms are loaded, even if the structure of the FX chain is unchanged.

Since our algorithms do not "know" or have a way to report their latency, we currently do not compensate for this inherent latency – so with these algorithms, you can potentially have issues if they are run in parallel with other algorithms, or if the master mixes on the algorithm and FX chain are not 100% wet.

The right solution to this is to test and analyze all the algorithms for their inherent latency and provide a way to report this to the H9000 hosting system, so that it can adjust the FX chain latencies accordingly, but this is not a simple task!

I looked at Omnipressor (1116) and it looks like it adds a fixed 0.5ms of inherent latency.

joeydego
      Participant

Thanks for the reply. For now I’ll just ping and re ping upon changing algos until there’s another solution. I appreciate it.

John Baylies
      Participant

Keep in mind that the Omnipressor algo sums both inputs to mono, so if you want a stereo Omnipressor you'll need two of them.

also note that there are two Omnipressor algorithms. #1116, and #6517. After skimming both of them in Vsig3, they do seem to be slightly different.

here's a copy of the Omnipressor plug-in preset "Over Easy Mastering" for #6517, which I'm a fan of https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-P5XEGglyMUCYEjIeaqqYlktlQWRvJb/view?usp=sharing I put two of them side by side and run the left channel into one, and the right channel into the other.

and I just stumbled across this and got a kick out of it https://www.eventideaudio.com/presenting-eventide-omnipressor

John Baylies
      Participant
      I haven't used Studio One much yet but that looks correct to me.

for the I/O I just use [1] to keep it simple, but it shouldn't matter, since (afaik) the inputs are summed, and the outputs are duplicates.

joeydego
      Participant

Fantastic. I’ll make myself a pre mastering chain like this. Thanks. 

joeydego
      Participant
      John Baylies wrote:

Keep in mind that the Omnipressor algo sums both inputs to mono, so if you want a stereo Omnipressor you’ll need two of them.

also note that there are two Omnipressor algorithms. #1116, and #6517. After skimming both of them in Vsig3, they do seem to be slightly different.

here’s a copy of the Omnipressor plug-in preset “Over Easy Mastering” for #6517, which I’m a fan of https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-P5XEGglyMUCYEjIeaqqYlktlQWRvJb/view?usp=sharing I put two of them side by side and run the left channel into one, and the right channel into the other.

and I just stumbled across this and got a kick out of it https://www.eventideaudio.com/presenting-eventide-omnipressor

Funny stuff. 

Just so I understand how to set this up in the matrix, I’d bring a stereo instance of pipeline up in Studio one to a linked stereo I/O on my master fader (say analog 1-2). Then on the Emote grid, I’d run 2 omnipressors with analog 1 going to the first (they appear on the grid in stereo so does it matter 1 or 2 for the I/O?) to output analog 1, and for the 2nd instance it would be analog 2 output with input 1 or 2, correct? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.