Only 1 LFO per program on the Eclipse?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Only 1 LFO per program on the Eclipse?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      holografique
      Participant

I'm having a hard time finding concrete specs on the various Harmonizer models that exist specifically listing not just the types of modulation sources, but more importantly the number of modulation sources supported per program.

So far, from what I can tell, the Eclipse can only do one LFO per program. I don't know, but to me this is pretty limiting for the price being asked on this unit. The unit sounds great, but lack of additional modulation is a bit of a bummer. Pretty high-end synths costing less can do 3-4 LFO's. Doesn't make sense to me.But I'm no DSP programmer 😐

My assumption is the 4000 and higher units can do more than just 1 LFO. But I can't find any info in any of the manuals that gives out a concrete list of the modulation limits per program. Is this info somewhere to be found?

thanks.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The way these products work makes it hard to give a precise answer to your question. Because each algorithm is made from a large number of different modules, it is possible for a given algorithm to have 10 modulators. Or none. Comparing them to a fixed structure analog synth is not helpful or relevant.

The Eclipse has a standalone modulation block to which you refer. But, also, individual algorithms may have built-in modulation sources. You will have to study the Algorithms Manual to identify these.

The 2U units have from 400 to almost 2000 programs or algorithms, many of which will have extensive modulation capability. There is no Algorithms Manual for these – it would be too big. You can also create your own algorithms – if you wanted 50 modulators, you probably could. It would depend on what you are trying to achieve.

In practice, counting individual features like modulators, while it may make sense for a hardware synth, makes little sense with units like ours. What is important is the quality and range of sound that these produce. Our customers seem to agree.

holografique
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I spent some time looking over the manual on the DSP7000 and I understand it's architecture much better now. I knew the signal processing was modular, but did not know that modulation was also open-ended. It reminds me a lot of Reaktor, just with dedicated hardware, DSP, outstanding AD/DA, and much more of a focus on signal processing / effects and less a focus on synthesis. I took my buddies H8000FW for a test drive and I was blown away at the quality of the AD/DA. There's a distinct "musical" presence somewhere in the 4khz-8khz range that is just butter to the ears 🙂 I was also blown away at the precision in which parameters are modulated in real-time via modulators. The resolution is outstanding.

That being said, I still believe the Eclipse is severely limited in modulation capabilities for the asking price. I decided to go ahead and pick up a DSP7000 in great condition on Ebay for $1700 instead. With that much more capability and the option for VSIG, it's just hard to justify paying $2k for a new Eclipse.

Hopefully after getting some life from the DSP7000, I'll move up to an Orville or higher to take advantage of Eve/NET. Looks like a great device.

cheers

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The Eclipse has its charms, but maybe not for you.

It is smaller, easier to use, has some more I/O options, cheaper when new, etc. Horses for courses.

holografique
      Participant

I never discounted it's charm. As I mentioned already, the unit sounds great and I love the 1U form factor of it, and the overall hardware design is sexy. And sure, it certainly appeals to some and not to others. The lack of LFO's is the ONLY reason I decided not to purchase it. Otherwise It would have been a done deal and you would have had another customer and another new unit sold.

All I'm saying is for the cost, adding a couple more LFO's can make it appeal to even more people, like me, who are after a bit more flexibility in modulation for more special FX type use. 1 or 2 more additional LFO's can go a loooooong way.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I'll be happy with the used DSP7000.

cheers

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.