Orville Ver 2.6 — 2 Questions

Home Forums Products Rackmount Orville Ver 2.6 — 2 Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dadarby

1. Where can I find a list of the Orville Ver 2.6 patches.  I have looked on the interwebs and can only find Ver 3.0.

2. I am looking to upgrade/update the Orville firmware to 3.0.  Has anyone had any experience doing this recently. I see that it involves some old technology.  Is it woprth it to do so? Will Eventide be helpful in this regard.

TIA

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      dadarby wrote:

1. Where can I find a list of the Orville Ver 2.6 patches.  I have looked on the interwebs and can only find Ver 3.0.

We don't have them. The nearest I could find were labelled 2.477 and were written in Lotus Word Pro, a program we cannot use any more.

dadarby wrote:

2. I am looking to upgrade/update the Orville firmware to 3.0.  Has anyone had any experience doing this recently. I see that it involves some old technology.  Is it woprth it to do so? Will Eventide be helpful in this regard.

Frankly, I would suggest that you let well alone. An early Orville is now almost 20 years old, and if you mess with it and break something, it may be hard or impossible to fix.

dadarby

Being the daring person that I am and contrary to the advice from Eventide staff to leave my Orville alone due to its age, I am thrilled to report that I successfully updated my Orville 2.60 to Version 3.002.  The process is simple and straightforward, eventhough I am running a MacPro, but you must have some old technology to pull it off;  Below is the procedure.  The following is the procedure if your are running a Mac.

1. Download the update  from Eventide.

2. Purchase a USB to Serial connector cable, assuming you don’t have one. I got mine from USCONVERTERS.COM model XS8801

3. Find a ccomputer with Windows XP, or in my case I already had it on my MacPro wilth ability to run on Parallels.

4. Hook up the USB to Serial cable on your computer.

5. Install USB to Serial device drivers.  I received a drivers disk from the folks I got my USB to Serial cable from. [USCONVERTERS.COM]

6. Verify installation and that the device is operating properly.

7. Connect the Serial end of the USB to Serial cable to the serial port on your Orville.

8. Start the Orville update program in Windows XP.

9. Follow the instructions carefully.  There is an instructions tab in the installer.  If I recall it is the 2nd one from the right.

10. The update takes about 15 minutes, and progress is reported on both the update program, as well as the Orville screen.

11. Compare all the Banks and presets with the Ver. 3.0 preset list which is available on the interwebs.

12. Make lots of beautiful music.

If someone needs help shoot me a PM.  I’ff get back to you.

Derne_Hahl

My apologies for bumping this post, but after experiencing about a week of Orville down time I would just like to reinforce to any user looking to update to OS 3.002 to avoid any and all cheap serial to USB cables and to spring for the exact cable suggested by TIA, above.

Derne_Hahl

One additional thought…as I did not come across it in this thread or in the update instructions, be sure to choose “done” after the update and not “restart”.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.