Orville vs H8000 analog sound quality

Home Forums Products Rackmount Orville vs H8000 analog sound quality

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      audiokid

Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the Orville and H8000?

Analog is all I'm interested in.

thanks for your comments.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I think that the H8000 has better converters, but you would probably need equipment to tell the difference.

audiokid

Hi, thanks for chiming in. However, I'm not interested in the converters at all. Only analog quality. Mixing OTB using high end hardware I am wondering how the H8000 vs the Orville sound (A/B) side by sound. Is one more clear, more vibe, better S/N over the other etc?

Not at all interested in all the patches, just sound quality between the two units?

Thanks for your opinion!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The converters have a significant influence on analog quality.

Otherwise, the H8000 is slightly better, but unless you have golden ears you may not see the difference.

audiokid

ah right! its still doing conversions. Thank for clarifying and sharing your opinion on the sound quality..

audiokid

That being said,  strictly in the analog domain:

Does the SR setting's on the Orville have any effect on the sound quality of the analog I/O  (1, 2, 3, 4 DSP A or B)?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

A very small number of presets may sound better at higher sample rates, usually distortion-type effects, which can sound pleasantly smoother.

In most cases it makes no perceptible difference.

audiokid

The manual isn't clear on this so thanks for taking the time to answer this in more detail for me. Its why I am confused over the digital I/O in the first place.

So they do have a direct relationship to the analog sound quality, yes? Would I be better off leaving the SR always set at 96k then? And if so, does thie highest SR setting have an impact on processing speed via midi program changing, value speed etc? Changing from one program to the next?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As I tried ti say, it's a very small number and probably a subtle difference.

For most presets you will not hear a difference.

Using a higher SR than you need will prevent some bigger programs from running and may slow the unit down slightly. I would stay at 48K unless you are convinced you can hear a difference.

audiokid

I'm also using this in a mastering chain while doing ReMix's so if there is a difference, and if that difference helped the edges sit tighter (example in the center focus), its something good to know.

But thank you,  the processing speed was also something I was curious to learn about here. You've been very helpful, … on to the next one.

Cheers!

unguitar
      Participant

I have been using an Orville for a few years before upgrading to the H8000fw.

It is difficult to say the difference given by the different d/a converters without having the two machines side by side, when I switched from the Orville to the h8k I didn't notice any.

But then I should lend you my ears so you could check how capable of catching audio details they are Big Smile

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.