Problem with clock (AES output gets outlocked)

Home Forums Products Rackmount Problem with clock (AES output gets outlocked)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Immersion

I am an extreme beginner with the H8000fw still trying to learn the basics how to navigate the interface. I have manage to select a preset but I only get dry signal non processed signal even though wet level is 100%

I have noticed that the EXT lamp is blinking in an regular pattern.. which indicate unlocked clock errors for the AES output, in clock menu it also says AES 3/4 unlocked.

I use Antelope Eclipse as masterclock via Word clock connected to h8000FW in. 

I use word clock cabel from WC out on my Antelope Eclipse and into WC in on H8000fw

I then connect from Antelope Eclipse into WC in on the RME card in the computer.

I use analoge out from Kemper amp to analoge in on H8000fw.

I use AES OUT to RME HDSPe AES PCIe card in the computer.

Strange thing is even though AES output seem to be unlocked the guitar signal seem to go thru perfectly fine to my RME hdspe card and that it go thru should indicate that the clock is also working.

However processed sound do not seem to work for some reason, it could be possible that I do not know the settings good enough to rout the signals correctely..as I am said i am a beginner with this H8000FW unit. Anyway… that the EXT lamp is blinking and that the aes turns up unlocked should indicate the there is a problem, the AES output should not be unlocked

does any one know what the problem could be ?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It is hard to know what the problem is without being there – it could be any combinations of bad cables, wrong settings or possible hardware problems. A few things to note:

1) The EXT light on the H8000 flashes whenever any routed input is unlocked, whether or not you are using it.

2) Since you seem to be relying on Wordclock, make sure that it is enabled and shows locked as described in the manual. Also make sure that it is connected and terminated as described in the manual.

3) If for unknown reasons you have trouble using the WC as a sync source, try using AES instead.

Immersion

I use only analogue input right now and Digital AES output..  Yes I did notice the light is flashing even when I had no cables at all inserted to the H8000fw but also when Inserted a digital AES cable I the EXT is still flashing.I tried wordclock I did also remove the Wordclock cable and did try to use Eventides internal clock and use my RME as slave clock, still EXT flashing and still unlocked as it seem.

in the video I demonstrate when I use wordclock, that they are in sync, as you can see in the video I change clock speed on my computer and it change in the Eventide. I switch between 96 and 44khz .

http://delafil.se/key=f39de1e1f86d4b8b3e995863e5f81f29&lang=en

I use the best cables available mogami multi core cables.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Mogami-Gold-AES-Snake-p/9999-06900.htm

My eventide is always OFF when connect new cables. 

I use version 5.5 of the H8000FW, it says that you no longer need to "enable" word clock" in setup, in fact the "word clock" enable option has been removed from the "misc" menu in setup as it seem.

Some pictures of my setup might make it easier for you to understand since you said it would be easier if you was here.

http://imgur.com/a/UVc08

DanielH

Does it sync to aes 34 input? Does it sync to wc when aes 34 is not plugged in? The video doesn't show what happens when you toggle the sync selector between int-wc-aes..

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As I said before, the EXT light will flash whenever any routed input is unlocked, Your screens show that you have AES1 and ADAT2 routed, with nothing connected to them. So, flash.

But, this is not the actual problem. You could try using one of AES 11-18 to see if it is any different, but I suspect it is not. AES outputs are simple things that tend to work. It is more likely that the problem is your cabling or the destination of the AES.

That said, this sort of problem is really beyond what this forum can support. My guess is that it is something at your end, but without being there I cannot say what. I would suggest that you find a suitably skilled local tech to look over your setup.

If you believe that the H8000 is at fault, you should send it in for service – but this should be the last resort, as so far there is no evidence that it is at fault.

Immersion

After reading manual a little bit.. I found out there is a "hidden" menu, which is not visible in the setup menus. I hate this kind of "hidden" things you must read the manual for, if it wasn that it was hidden I would had solved the problem first night.  Anway when you press the "program" button for more then 1 second a "routing" menu will appear, I did choose "Dual Analog" in this menu which should be correct since I use a stereo pair of analog input from my kemper, after I did this simple click now I did instantly hear the processed sound and wet signal not only dry signal as before. 

The EXT light is no longer flashing but heaing a steady flash which mean I can relax because that indicate there is no clocking or cable problem.. Feels nice!

Immersion

yes, it sync to 34 now, it is locked… It is strange why it was unlocked before.. I am not sure why..but it seem the cloking is working flawlessly now, and I am happy to hear that, since I prefer to use the Eclipse as external clock since it is a superior clock. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

All H8000 users should please note that these are complex and sophisticated products. You are unlikely to get the best from this unit unless you invest time and study. In particular, it is advisable to thoroughly read and understand the User Manual.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.