Problems with 5.6B OS

Home Forums Products Rackmount Problems with 5.6B OS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hello,

after updating to 5.6B and selecting a monolithic preset, I get the following message: ERROR- Suggest Power Down, host A : timeout. "Any key to continue" does nothing, the H8000FW seems to hang while loading program B – weird because monolithic programs are supposed to be loaded on DSP A.

Anyway, I tried rebooting several times, reinstalling 5.6B, pressing 5 at startup, pressing 8 at startup. No luck. Can anyone help?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Three – sorry you are having trouble. Pressing the 8 key should do it- may sure you do it at the SECOND (H8000) start-up screen. If this fails, try going back to your previous version (should be available from the update page).

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

So, are we going to see an official release or what? Why does it all take AGES for you to release something on time and working?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There will be another beta release with new drivers shortly.

This stuff takes time because it is very difficult and complicated, and there are not enough of us for all the thing we are trying to do. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Here's what I think is a bug: after downgrading from 5.6B1 to 5.5. and loading Echospace of God, on DSP B, the H8000FW crashes (the message I get is: ERROR, Suggest Power-Down, host B: timeout,
      Please, do something, I need some help here.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Three

This sounds like a problem you had earlier – basically loading the program crashes the DSP. It's usually fixable by holding down the PROGRAM key at startup, but this obviously does not resolve the underlying problem.

There are a number of possible causes:

1) Failed update leaving mismatched software.

2) Hardware problem of some kind – if it happens again, take the top off the unit and "wiggle" all socketed parts and connections in case there is a bad contact somewhere. Especially U106.

3) Software bug. In this case it would probably be repeatable and maybe only apply to certain programs.

4) Unstable clock source when using digital input.

5) Overheating due to insufficient cool airspace around unit.

If the above doesn't help, we could run some selftests. Hold down the 1 key at the first startup screen, and release it when asked. Turn the wheel until it shows "(053) Test DSP #0,1". Hit select. Let this run for a few hours. The P number will increment. If either the E= or the T= show other than 0, let me know.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

OK I will come back later to tell you what happens, thanks for the swift reply!

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi again,

there is sufficient air flowing up and below my unit. I ran all these tests that you mention, neither E or T show anything other than 0. It seems to me that there's crap left from the 5.6B installation.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Maybe so. You could save any presets you want to keep to a card or computer, the try a "return to factory defaults" (8 key on second startup screen).

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Nick,

pressing 8 at startup doesn't do anything. The only thing that "solves" the problem is upgrading/downgrading to 5.6B/5.5 – depending on which OS version caused the problem (they both do).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Are you saying that pressing 8 does nothing at all, or that it does not cure the problem. You should at least get an "are you sure.." message.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Pressing 8 doesn't cure the problem, nor any other number does.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Which presets on which DSP at what sample rate and source cause the problem ?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

For instance Echospace of God, which I always used with 96KHz, dual analog stereo – this one worked flawlessly with 5.5. until I upgraded to 5.6B1. This is a monolithic preset that I have loaded on DSP B, though I don't think it makes any difference since, being a monolithic preset, both DSPs would be used.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is not monolithic on 5.6 – maybe it should be. I'll look into it. Can you give me any more ?

Are you using internal or external sync ?

UPDATE: this one should not be a problem – it uses 55% of the dsp. Obviously it is a problem for you, but can't immediately see why.

If you haven't, can you let the tests run over night or longer ?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I run the tests all nights, I didn't see anything weird in the display (E = T = 0). I use internal sync at 96 KHz. I think there are a couple more presets that present this problem but I am stuck with that creepy message so I need to reinstall 5.5 just to be able to tell you what other presets misbehave. If you are a little patient, I will report back soon.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I just upgraded to 5.6B1 again, tried to load "Echospace of God" on DSP A (at 48 KHz) and same old crap. This is getting ridiculous. 🙁

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Even though it seems to pass the tests, it is looking more like a hardware problem. My unit does not do this at any sample rate, which suggests it is something specific to your unit. You should contact support@eventide.com with a view to getting it fixed.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Nick,

can you please give us an estimate for the second beta version of 5.6? Will it only contain bug fixes?

Regards,

Yannis

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Probably around the end of the month. It has fixes for a few problems found in 5.6B1.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

nickrose:

Probably around the end of the month. It has fixes for a few problems found in 5.6B1.

It's "around the end of the month", isn't it? Let's have it!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

What I said was "probably around ..," implying a degree of vagueness. But, to quote the song, it won't be long now ..

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.