programmers manual…

Home Forums Products Rackmount programmers manual…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      mb

Hello:

The 8000fw manual makes numerous references to a seperate programmer's manual.
      Where is this please?
      I see that there is a vsig manual, but it appears that vsig may be a little different than the the manual I am referring to above because, as I recall, it was part of the Orville materails
      Please advise
      mb

IDeangelis

Hello

the programmer'manual is no longer available. It has been included in Vsigfile help and manual. Please refer to the editor for all programming info.

best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi,

Italo the VSig help file is not directly accessible from within Vista without a specific file available for download from Microsoft. It's not much to download it, but maybe a seperate pdf file is much preferable.

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Excellent! MS always keeps up with its fame!

I'll talk to our engineer and see what can be done.

thanks for reporting this!

I

IDeangelis

Yannis

from our engineering…

"The latest version of Vsig on the Web Site (2.4.9) has a help file that is Vista compatible. "

Are you maybe using an older version?

best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Italo,

you are right. At the time I was using ver 2.0. because ver 2.4.9 was a beta version (it still is, right)? I just had to move to 2.4.9 as downloading several algorithms from the H-8000FW to the computer, didn't recognize some modules like Compressor2 (I think). Now that I opened the help file from within 2.4.9 it does open it, but I have already downloaded the Microsoft fix, so I can't really tell. Although I'll take your word that 2.4.9 works fine :-).

Thanks again,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

It's a continuosly evolving/updating app….

Remember that Vsig modules database and the Harmonier must share the same version. When a new OS update is performed on the H8000, its database should be downloaded to Vsig…so that modules are the latest ones and available to the program.  

From time to time, one of the reasons Vsig is updated is the inclusion of handling capabilities for the new structures/modules.

best

I

mb

The references in the 8000 manual regarding the patch edit button, are being referred to the programmers manual. As far as I can tell, there aren't any in vsig or vsig help.
      Why is there a dedicated buttton, which when pressed, obviously has important functions which do require information from Eventide as to what is going on with this preset/patch editor?
      Why no info on the relay jack… again, being referred to programmers manual?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi,

when I first launched VSig 2.4.9. it couldn't find the database to work with so I did what you describe above: I downloaded it from the H-8000FW and now everything works perfectly (or so I hope). However. the algorithms that I worked with were done with the previous version. It's not much for me to download them again from within 2.4.9. and save them in a different folder, which is what I should because I remember that Vsig wasn't able to recognize a couple of modules. I just wonder if opening the 2.0 files in the 2.4.9 version will cause any problems.

Italo, I have seen that you have designed a lot of the patches, some of which are just awesome! Can you share if you design patches out of experience? Do you have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve prior to designing them? Can you recommend anything (other than the VSig help file of course?)

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Mb

the Patch Editor on the unit itself is something we believe kind of very hard to work with and prefer users to work w/Vsigfile. This used to be ok long time ago, with the 4000. I created hundreds of algorithms on it. In time the processing power AND the algorithms size have grown to "x" times…so the patch editor has become more and more less efficient in trying to work with. It's ok for simple editing, like adding a mixer or other simple things….

We are considering to add the old Programmer manual again on our website, with the necessary updates, just so that every aspect is covered.

But….anything related to how to create algorithms in the old Manual is covered and expanded in vsig Help File and Vsig manual.

The relay jack has no info because it's related to Vsig module C_RELAY, covered in the mentioned help files.

all the best

I

IDeangelis

Databases:

long time ago I got into the habit of storing databases in a single folder each. The folder is named after its OS version. An H8000FW folder contains all folders with its OS versions databases….and so on for all other units (4000s/7000s/Orville/7600/H8000/etc….). Finally a DATABASES folder contains them all. This way I can use Vsig database window to locate any unit's dbase to work with. When a new OS is availabl, I get the new Db and store it accordingly.

Presets done with older Dbases are normally usable w/newer version. Back compatibility is always the key here. You should be fine with all those presets versions.

Patch design:

we sould spend a day talking about this!

I started working w/algorithms back in 1990, with the ModFactory on the H3000. up to that time I had used many different brands/units and the fact I could now create thing inside a machine was THE eyeopener for me, besides the Eventide sound which I still can't hear anywhere else. When the open architecture came out, a few years later, with the DSP4000…it was instant jump_on_it. That's where I could make my own things….and more happened along the time as DSP resources increased w/Orville and the H8000.

I have created several thousands algorithms. Many are in the units, others aren't. creating an algorithm for me, comes from different places:

-build something existing in a rack system in a single structure

-work for some famous artist in need to create some stuff that is not available (YET!) or needs to replicate well….

-create from nothingness…. beyond the "normal" rules of FX (try a plex w/delays + pitch shifters for verb!)..and experiment.

-replicate some classic unit! A lot of studio and audio tests on this.

-get in new audio working formats, like 5.1, broadcast, movies! 

Sometimes you have a clear idea, other times you don't and proceed in the dark.

Sometimes you start from something that is well defined but end up with something else which may be more interesting.

Sometimes you work on a very specific project and create several intermediate versions of the project..and each one takes a different path, developing away from the mother idea…up to newer effects that have nothing in common with the origin.

Vsig is a gold mine! Taking the time to sink in it will unwrap an enormous knowledge and creative potential. Knowing and having used many other processors is a great help. Being a musician is a MUST! Loving computers helps. Everything starts with the old days digital delay unit. THAT thing teaches how different fx can be made; this is something I always recommend to anybody willing to learn.

Besides books and experience,t he big learning bible remains the factory presets library. Analizing them and understanding how things can be made, even in different ways, is the key to it. 

You have everything in front of you, like the sun….but for many its light is just too bright!

;-))

I

mb

Please do consider adding that back.

I should have access to that manual or the information contained in it. The patch edit button is part of what I paid for, and as you stated, it does work. I need instuctional coverage on that function because it will come in handy for certain things, of course.
      Concerning the relay, ok about the module, but I would like some info about its usage.
      Just because it is available as a module doesn't show me what it can do. I looked at that module and I don't have an understanding regarding what this means to me as a musician and what things are waiting for me with this jack
      Again, its part of the 8000, so lets have information please.
      Thanks in advance
      mb

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Following enormous popular pressure from yourself and myriad others, we'll be posting a version of the Programmer's Manual to the Web Site later this week.

It contains a slightly outdated Vsigfile section, which has been largely superseded by the Vsig Help files, but DOES have useful instruction on the Patch Editor. 

The relay jack essentially gives access to two relays, one connected between tip and ground, one connected between sleeve and ground. These relays may be controlled by the C_RELAY module. Once you become more experienced in the programming, applications for it will begin to suggest themselves, depending essentially on how you want to use the unit.

As an example, you could build a compressor program, and control a green light when signal was present, and a red light then the signal was above the compressor threshold.

Or, in general terms, use these relays to control external hardware based on the characteristics of the input or output signal, or control settings or both. The possible uses are too varied to give a succinct answer.

mb

Thanks Nick for that encouraging information.
      Even the small amount of info, you posted regarding relays, has caused me to think creatively about its possible uses.
      I am looking forward to the very welcome info regarding the patch editor and any other usefull info, that no doubt, will reveal itself.
      mb

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.