Proper Word Clock termination for H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Proper Word Clock termination for H9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      panmorpheo
      Participant

In the manual of the H9000 is clearly explained that Eventide products work with a 50 ohm termination but I wonder if it is possible to set the impedance to 75 ohm, since 75 ohm is pretty much the standard of other digital units. I am using an Apogee Big Ben to clock the H9000 but the termination of 50 ohm is considered by the Big Ben “over terminated” and this can cause some problems. Also, I tried to activate the internal termination in the clock page of the settings in the H9000, instead of using a phisical termination on a t-connector attached to the end of the cable and at the input of the H9000, but it seems to do nothing… I wonder if the internal termination is not implemented yet and if at the moment there is only the switch in the GUI which, again, is not working…

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      panmorpheo wrote:

In the manual of the H9000 is clearly explained that Eventide products work with a 50 ohm termination but I wonder if it is possible to set the impedance to 75 ohm, since 75 ohm is pretty much the standard of other digital units. I am using an Apogee Big Ben to clock the H9000 but the termination of 50 ohm is considered by the Big Ben "over terminated" and this can cause some problems. Also, I tried to activate the internal termination in the clock page of the settings in the H9000, instead of using a phisical termination on a t-connector attached to the end of the cable and at the input of the H9000, but it seems to do nothing… I wonder if the internal termination is not implemented yet and if at the moment there is only the switch in the GUI which, again, is not working…

There must be an error in the manual, because I'm pretty sure (and confirmed this with a colleague) that the H9000 termination should be 75 ohm.  This is also the value of the internal termination.

The software switch to turn on the internal termination should work.  When you change the switch, do you hear the relay click?

panmorpheo
      Participant

Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, when I switch to Internal I hear the relay click but still the Big Ben, which as you may know has a very good sensor, detects no termination…

panmorpheo
      Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention that the phisical termination provided in the box by Eventide, together with the T-connector, is actually 50 ohm…

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        panmorpheo wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention that the phisical termination provided in the box by Eventide, together with the T-connector, is actually 50 ohm…

Hmm.  We'll investigate why the internal termination isn't working.  In the meantime, do you have a 75 ohm terminator that you can use?

(As an aside, I looked at the H8000FW user's manual, and it says that the WC impedance should be 50 ohms; this probably explains why the H9000 manual says the same).

panmorpheo
      Participant

Did you have the chance to test the internal termination? Thanks

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        panmorpheo wrote:

Did you have the chance to test the internal termination? Thanks

Sorry, I've been out of town.  I'll post an update soon.  It's possible we might need to get hold of an Apogee Big Ben which could take some time.

panmorpheo
      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.