Reich Loops patch question

Home Forums Products Rackmount Reich Loops patch question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      taylor12k
      Participant

i'm quite interested in the Reich Loops looper in my H7600 but they don't seem to be working as advertised.

the way i read the description is that each of the 4 loopers can have a different length, however, when i use it, no matter which loop i choose with the Loop# parameter, all loops have the same length.. which seems to be taken from the Loop1 length.

the parameters let you set different times for each looper, yet i'm not hearing any differences…

am i doing anything wrong? can anyone explain how to get it to work?

thanks!

Given To Fly
      Participant

I just recorded Reich's Electric Counterpoint and would love hear about this preset. One piece of information that might help things make sense would be Reich's loop based music, though it changes time signatures and tempos, always maintains a pulse that is common to the entire piece. In Electric Counterpoint I can play the whole piece at 96 BPM if I change the subdivisions when the tempo changes.  The phrase lengths change though. I believe mvt. 1 is 4 measures of 4/4, mvt.2 is 3/4+5/8+4/4 or 1 measure (grouping) of 19/8, and mvt. 3 is 1 bar of 3/2 which changes to 12/8 and then alternates between the two. I realize Electric Counterpoint isn't the only piece Reich wrote but the point is if changes tempo, the players usually change the subdivisions they are playing at the same time which creates a seamless change that later becomes evident. I'm wondering if the preset has anything to do with 

Sorry to regurgitate all that information on your thread,  but I bought a TimeFactor and more recently a PitchFactor to see what parts I can consolidate in Reich's music. So an Eventide preset relating to Steve Reich easily captures my interest. Music

Mark Wilson

taylor12k
      Participant

hi mark,

very interesting.. do you work with mr. reich? he actually lives in my town! though i have had no contact with him.

the time factor is a great looper and delay, but what sets the bigger boxes apart is the fact that they can do multitrack loops and, as i'm trying to figure out in this preset, loops that have different phase relationships with each other.

it's a big part of my own music as well which i usually just accomplish with multiple loopers, but these 7600/8000 presets are very inspiring as well!

taylor

Given To Fly
      Participant

No, Steve Reich and I have no affiliation but I would like to meet him someday! As for recording Electric Counterpoint, I had big plans, especially for the TimeFactor, which  would allow me to play 1 part and have the delays replicate the other 2 or 3 related parts depending on which section I was recording. In the end though, I play every note of every part. Huh? It was also the piece that taught me how to record in general too. 

Thats really cool that the rack units get into the "phasing" aspects of Reich's music. Thats impressive! I personally I prefer the continuous interaction between the player and the delayed signal compared to a Looper but I think its simple "6 of 1 , half dozen of the other" when it comes to results. Also, a preset the replicates Reich's Phasing technique must one heck of a preset! Yes

taylor12k
      Participant

just bumping my question here.. wondering if anyone has any insight into this preset… or if it's possible at all to make a dual (or quad) ASYCHRONOUS looper in the h7600…

every day i wish eventide would release a Mac editor………..

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I looked at 724 and you are right – it is broken. Loop1 drives the first 2 loops, Loop2 drives the second. Loop3 and 4 do nothing.

I've attached a modified version where each of the loop knobs drives a separate loop.

unguitar
      Participant

thank you Nick, and thank you Taylor for having pointed this out.

taylor12k
      Participant

amazing, thank you! so i assume i just copy the file to a card and load it into the unit that way?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – the card presets are a proprietary binary form. For the .sig file you'll need to use Vsig (find a Windows friend if you are a Mac guy.)

taylor12k
      Participant

oh, wow, bummer.

i do have windows installed on a mac pro. i'll try to get vsig working and communicating with that. still can't believe there's no modern Mac editor….. we wish and wait Smile

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you have trouble, I'll try and get the card file to you. But, not before the end of next week.

taylor12k
      Participant

i had success!took me a while to get the serial-usb adapter working until i realized my vsig settings had to be PORT 3 or whatever that setting is…. so i got it transferred over and it's fantastic… the looper i've been waiting for.

now i'm going to see if i can add some pitch shifters and maybe a reverb to it…

(stil casting a vote for Vsig Mac though)

unguitar
      Participant

Hi Nick,

I would be superhappy for the card format once you have the chance.

I confess I've not been connecting to Vsig for a couple of years now…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.