Routing utility communications error

Home Forums Products Rackmount Routing utility communications error

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      sean.e
      Participant

I’m trying to use a serial connection between the routing utility and my H8000.  It has worked in the past but I haven’t used the utility in quite some time.  Now when I start the utility or change the comm config, I get an E1 communications error.  Any clues what E1 means and how to address it?

sean.e
      Participant

Well, I’m no longer getting the E1 error, but when I try to connect, the indicator on the H8000 blinks 2 or 3 times and then the utility displays the “Cannot connect. Going to Local mode” message.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It will be no suprise to a man of your experience that you have a communications problem. My first suggestion would be to try different settings (baud rate, etc), then a different cable, then a different interface, etc. To confirm that the H8000 RS232 is good, you could try MIDI over DIN or FireWire. Also, consider a Clear Setup on the H8000 to reset the comms parameters.

If the above fails, it's almost certainly a computer issue. Sorry.

sean.e
      Participant

Yeah, I figured as much.

I was able to get MIDI comm working on a laptop that was closer to the unit than the desktop I was originally working with — though the H8000 displayed a ‘serial overflow’ message twice in a half-hour span.  Is that anything to worry about?

One question regarding the serial comm params on Windows.  Should I modify the COM port in the Windows device manager to also match the Routing and H8000 params?  The help file only specifically mentions the Routing settings and the H8000 — without explicitly mentioning the Windows device manager.  I have been making all 3 match but maybe making things worse by touching device manager?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not sure is the overflow messages mean anything – if it's working fine, don't worry.

My understanding is that changing the Routing programs serial parameters to match the the H8000 should do it. I think that the Device manager's versions may be defaults (or something – don't really know).

sean.e
      Participant

I’ve ordered a new RS-232 to USB cable.  Hopefully that’ll get the serial connection working.

sean.e
      Participant

New RS-232 to USB cable arrived and the serial comm is working fine.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Exactly so..

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.