Routing Utility Question

Home Forums Products Rackmount Routing Utility Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Lucin Niega

Hello,

I recently purchased the h8000fw. It's great! I've been getting into the routing software and have a couple of questions.

First off, when the utility is open it says "connecting" at the top and it never goes a way and it never says "connected". I am connecting the 8000 through a m-audio midisport 2×2 usb. I have configured it in the communication window. I'm using an intel imac with windows xp through boot camp. I make the routing as I would like it, save it then load it, but it doesn't seem to change the routing in the 8000 itself. Any suggestions? 

I'm trying to make this happen; Is this possible?

I want to route the analog ins 1/2 to dsp A to aes 11/12 output (spdif 3/4 physical output). At the same time I would like to route AES in 11/12 (spdif 3/4 physical input) to dsp B to aes 11/12 output (spdif 3/4 physical output). I need both signals to be output mixed at aes 11/12 output (spdif 3/4 physical output).

Will this work?

Lucin

DiacK

Hi Lucin,

the last two month i managed to do two different routing setups. even it only takes 2 minutes to do the routing, it took some days to unglue my sticky brain to dig into the subject again. i love routing, i somehow resist to open the h8000fw routing page.

i managed to route 2 parallel DSP A and B, sending them back to the sequencer and sending them out stereo through the H8000 to monitors . i say this, because i still am happy that i managed….

the routing is done in SETUP . in Setup, push inputs to asign  the routing to the "MAIN inputs" .

In you case this would be/could be( i am never sure until i hear what i want to hear)

analog in 1 -> IN 1

analog in 2 -> IN 2

AES/EBU in 11 -> IN 3

AES/EBU in 12 -> IN 4

if you do not see AES/EBU 11 as an option to asign to IN 3, press input again to deselect AES/EBU 11/12 as OPTO in.

if that is done, press DSP A. in this page you will asign the routing to the DSP A. i should show this:

analog in 1 -> IN1

analog in 2 -> IN2

the rest can be unconnected. ("

")

now bress again DSP A to come to the DSP B page. put it to the following setting:

AES/EBU in 11 -> IN1

AES/EBU in12 -> IN2

now go to the output page. press it twice to read MAIN Outputs (Digital)

you see DIG1 DIG2 DIG3 DIG4. you need to asign your outputs of your DSPs to DIG3 and DIG4,

so it looks like this

dsp A out 1 (+) dsp B out 1 -> DIG3

dsp A out 2 (+) dsp B out 2 -> DIG4

i hope this will be the good routing for you. why are you not using AES 1/2 ?

dirk

Lucin Niega

Hey Dirk,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I tried the settings you've suggested ,although they made sense to me, they didn't work. I did mess around with the unit a bit and finally got it to work. I still can't get my head around the routing thing, so what I do for know is twist the knob until I hear the routing that I need, lol. Let me give you a little background on what I'm doing and then I will share the routing that worked.

I'm using an akai mpc1000. I take the spdif out the mpc and input to spdif in 3/4 on the 8000. I clock the 8000 via spdif 3/4 (AES 11/12) @ 44.1 khz. I then take analog out 1/2 from the mpc and input them to analog channel 1/2 on the 8000.

I want to send the analog signal to dsp A (dry-beat) and the spdif signal to dsp B (wet-voice), mix them together at spdif out 3/4 on the 8000 and record them into my akai z4 sampler via spdif in.

Here's how I got it to work:

MAIN INPUTS

analog in 1 -> IN 1

analog in 2 -> IN 2

spdif in 3    -> IN 3

spdif in 4    -> IN 4 

DSP A

analog in 1 -> IN 1

analog in 2 -> IN 2

DSP B

spdif in 3 -> IN 1

spdif in 4 -> IN 2

Main Outputs (Analog)

dsp A out 1 + dsp B out 1 -> ANA 1

dsp A out 2 + dsp B out 2 -> ANA 2

Main Outputs (Digital)

Blank

I don't know why the signals are being combined on spdif out 3/4 but that's exactly what I was looking for. Can someone explain why?

Thanks,

Lucin

achaput

Lucin Niega:

I don't know why the signals are being combined on spdif out 3/4 but that's exactly what I was looking for. Can someone explain why?

Hi Lucin,

Glad you got it working. From the setup described, you are hearing signals combined on the SPDIF out because the main output channels 1 and 2 have default connections to SPDIF, which means they will always appear on the SPDIF output.

Lucin Niega

Hello Auchaput,

Can you please comment on the first paragraph of my post. The routing utility doesn't seem to control the 8000fw what so ever. When I make changes in the utility, I don't hear a click sound on the unit (don't know if I should hear one or not) and the routing doesn't change on the display of the unit.

Thanks.

achaput

Hi Lucin,

It could be a communication problem between the computer and the H8000FW. Can you confirm that any other changes made from the Eventide Dice Utility take effect on the H8000FW?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

No reason why you should hear a click sound on the unit.

Double check all the settings – make sure that Comms Config on the Routing utility is set properly. Also, check the H8000's MIDI settings – do a CLEAR SETUP if necessary.

If this does not do it, I'm afraid that the problem is at your computer and there's little we can do. You could try different MIDI or serial adaptors, as well as new cables.

Lucin Niega

Hi There,

Let me give you a little background to my problem, as I had spoken to Jerome on the phone. Ever since I've received my unit there have been weird things happening. One time I turned the power on and the display failed to light up, so i turned it off and on, then I cleared the memory. Another time the meters were dancing when nothing was plugged into it, so I turned the unit off and the meters were still dancing when I turned it back on. Does this sound normal to you? The routing has never worked predictably, with or without the utility. One time I had a routing working like I wanted it so I left the unit as it was, powered on, until my brother came home from work so we could do music. While I was waiting, watching tv, I heard the unit make a clicking sound, so I ran signal through it and realized that the routing had changed by itself. Sound normal?

I told Jerome about this and he advised me to open the unit to make sure that a chip was seated properly as sometimes they come loose during shipping. I didn't do it because it is a very expensive machine and I am not confident enough.

BTW, I hooked up the unit to a different computer with 2 different midi interfaces  using different midi cables and I still couldn't get the routing utility to work. Also, midi works on both computers (Pro Tools, Sonar, Logic). I have owned this unit for 2 .5 – 3 weeks approx. I need to send it back to you for replacement or get a refund from my dealer before it's too late. I would prefer a working unit as opposed to a refund. I tried getting help on the phone but that proved to be impossible.

IDeangelis

Hi Lucin

Jerome's advice is really a life saver. The chip he adviced to check is really simple to locate. Opening the box is very easy as you only need to unscrew the top cover, with the power cable unplugged…then just press on the big square chip on its perimeter to make sure its contacts are fully seated.

This fixes problems 90% of the times and avoid time (and money) waste.

Please give it a try as it's not a defective unit if this works, just a false contact.

all the best

Italo

Lucin Niega

Hi Italo,

Well I did as you and Jerome suggested. I took the top of the unit off and pushed around the edge of the chip. It did not solve the problem. I need to make arrangements to send the unit back to you guys for repair or replacement.

Thanks.

IDeangelis

Hi Lucin

it's good you gave it a try though.

Please contact support@eventide.com for all arrangements, so that things get on the quick path.

all the best

I

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.