Saxophone processing

Home Forums Products Rackmount Saxophone processing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      honeyman

Can anyone advise if an eventide eclipse is a correct processor to cater for all the processing needs regarding saxophone harmonising effects to top quality live playing. I'm thinking of purchasing this item, and would like some feedback from people who already own one, or advise on an alternative unit that is correct for a saxophone. I'm already using equipment, but is very dated and am now looking for a more professional processinig with excellent filtering and to be able to eq reverbs, change the frequency, and you change the sound. 'is this what top live players use?'

Wait…. Is this Skerik?

-Colin

IDeangelis

Hi Honeyman

any current Eventide would be a perfect FX unit for saxophone. The point really is what specifically you have in mind in terms of FX to advice you the best solution.

Please let us know….

all the best

honeyman

Hey I

Thanx for prompt reply

What i'm looking for is to be able to clean up and shape the sound to give cd quality sound and to filter out all the rough edges, etc. To give the sax a sound that people associate with when they listen to cds, but for it still to sound like a saxophone, if that makes any sense?!

Will the internal filters be good enough to keep the sound clean from the low end, all the way up to the high end, in particular with harmonising.

It's very difficult to put what I want into a short note, but we have spoken before a couple of years back, and was unable to tell you what it was I required then, but with a couple of chats with you, perhaps you may be able to point me in the right direction as to which unit to have?

Regards

Honeyman

IDeangelis

Hi Honeyman

The description is still a bit vague.

Typically professional
      amp/processing of a sax requires:

-a good mic

-a good analog mic preamp (may or may not
      have an FX loop – better if parallel vs. serial)

-a mixer (the in_house mixer can be used too)

the preamp is what you want to use
      to shape the tonal quality of your instrument and to get its signal up to line
      level for optimal FX processing thru balanced connections.

The FX processor will then provide
      you FX, delays, thickening, harmonizing, reverb, etc….

Relaying on an FX processor to do all
      of this is not adviced as you do not want to plug a mic directly to the unit.
      It's against basic tech rules.

So, my question/answer is about
      what specific FX you need and how many at the same time, to advice you if the
      Eclipse can be the right choice or if you'd need to step up to an
      H7600.

You can still use filters in the
      unit to further shape the sound, but in this case an H7600 would be a better
      choice as its bigger DSP power will allow you to have filters and fx in a preset. The Eclipse may be
      limited in doing both, but, again, eveything still depends on which FX and how
      many at the same time you plan to use. 

let me know! 

best

I
      drooney

Hi Honeyman,

I can say that I know of one Eclipse owner by the name of Skerik who is a saxaphone player. You may want to post something to him directly.

Good luck!

honeyman

Hi Droon

honeyman

Hi Drooney

It would be useful to speak to another sax player on this subject…….. do you have an e-mail contact for him or do I have to go through the forum?

Regards

Honeyman 

drooney

Hi Honeyman,

I have to contact Skerik in regards to question about his Eclipse. I will ask him at that time if its ok for either you to email him or I will have him email you if that is ok?

honeyman

Thanx Drooney

That's fine…….. And thanx for everyones help so far!

Honeyman

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Man of Honey,

This is Skerik. D asked me to reply to you. Italo pretty much summed it up. You need a good mic and a good mic pre to get into the Eventide properly. Your overall signal chain is almost more important than the efx you choose!! Unity gain!! You have to make the soundperson happy!! I have been touring professionally for 15 years, and have used mostly Lexicon. I switched to the Eclipse recently, I love the harmonizer sounds, incredible tracking. But since I can't stand sounds like Kenny G, etc I don't use lush smooth jazz (yuck!!) reverbs. But I do use their plate reverb with all the high end cut out, so yes you can edit the EQ in certain patches. I will warn you, the Eclipse is very limited (for unknown reaasons?) for use in SERIES, it is designed for PARALLEL use. I consider this a frustrating thing, since it would be so easy to change things on it for SERIES use. Anyway, if you are touring with a switching system and a huge rig, I recommend the Eclipse for saxophone. But if you are touring small, the Eclipse is fragile, I have had parts break off the circuit board, etc, I am on my second one. It needs to be transported by hand, or in a large rig, racked up. Support is great, Italo and D always get right back to any questions, I can't say the same for Lexicon. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Good luck!!

IDeangelis

Some clarifications needed here:

skerik wrote:

I will warn you, the Eclipse is very limited (for unknown reaasons?)
      for use in SERIES, it is designed for PARALLEL use. I consider this a
      frustrating thing, since it would be so easy to change things on it for
      SERIES use.

The point here is not about Eclipse. ALL FX processors need to be run in parallel if you want to keep the signal level of your dry and wet sounds at full level and quality.

The dry/wet balance will always subtract level strength at any setting different from 0% and 100%, that is Full Dry and Full Wet are the only settings with full signal level. Using a mixer you'll get both. In addition to this, time domain FX (modulations/delays/shifters/reverbs) should be used in parallel. 

skerik wrote:

But if you are touring small, the Eclipse is fragile, I have had parts
      break off the circuit board, etc, I am on my second one. It needs to be
      transported by hand, or in a large rig, racked up

Well…unfortunately that's your experience. There are thousands units out there, touring the world and we haven't had such troublesome reports/servicing for this.

If a touring rack is well assembled and protected, with deep units rackmounted also at their back panel, you shouldn't have any problem…unless the case is being handled very rougly.

Eventide traditionally uses the less possible amount of cables for road-proof standard work.

best

Skerikmusic
      Participant

Running EFX in PARALLEL is always ideal, but if you can't afford shipping and are touring small, then a rig in SERIES is sometimes is the only way to go. In the 1980s and 1990s I used a rig with 2 Lexicon LXP-5s, they worked fine in SERIES, the bypass worked great and the wet/dry ratios were easily controlled on the front panel. They are not 'pro' devices, but they worked great for a small touring rig. If you look around, try stuff out first, to see if it works with your set up. I disagree that all EFX processors NEED to be run in PARALLEL, some cheat by better than others…For saxophone, Eventide is the best so far for sound quality, and pitch tracking speed, amazing……

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.