Setting up Routing with the H8000FW

Home Forums Products Rackmount Setting up Routing with the H8000FW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      btbyrd

I've been looking at the manual and the routing editor trying to figure out how exactly to do what I'm trying to do. I think that I might need to create several routing setups and then toggle back and forth on the fly depending on the task at hand. Getting to the point, I got the H8000FW in large part due to its being billed as "the ultimate I/O for your computer." I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the unit into the rest of my studio. Here's my situation and what I'd like to be able to do.

I currently have two sereo mixer channels coming into the H8000FW's four analog inputs. The analog outs are running directly into my monitors. I also have the H8000FW connected to my computer via Firewire. Simple. Four in analog in. Two analog out. One FW connection.

I'd like to be able to record audio through the Eventide's analog ins, set up an effects loop in my DAW, and monitor everything over the analog outs at all times. Is there an easy way to set this up using a single program, or will I have to swap back and forth between routing configurations

Thanks!

IDeangelis

Hi

It's not clear:

-if you have an audio interface for your computer

-why would you use 2 stereo mixers thru the Eventide….when it would be better to be placed in their SENDs/RETURNs, rather than in series.

A single stereo mixer could benefit from 2 stereo sends/returns to the H8000, using the 2 DSps in parallel for multiple fx on each channel…and avoiding noise owed to ground loops and multiple power feeds in the chain, as w/2 mixers. You'd also get to monitor the H8000, depending on the mixer bus configurations possibilities.

If you do not have an audio interface and want to record tracks thru the H8000 (as audio interface, then) AND then apply fx later, a single routing could give you 4 analog input for recording, going straight from analog input to firewire output, without using the DSPs. Then the FireWire connection could be used to create the S/Return connection on your DAW, depending on how it has the ability to be configured for this purpose. FW would feed DSPs A and B in parallel, as 2 independent stereo machines.

Probably factory routing #27 Analog & Firewire AB could do it as it is or with some mods, depending on how your DAW will handle I/Os and Sends/Returns.

all the best

I

btbyrd

That helped a lot! Indeed, I got my routing problems sorted out using routing #27 (plus a few tweaks, of course). Unfortunately, a new problem seems to have emerged. I'm having dropout problems over fireweire, even with the buffer size set at its highest level.I don't know if that's the issue though. At any rate, during the dropouts the meters on the analog inputs still light up, but the sample rate indicator (I'm at 44.1khz) flashes off and switches to "ext" for a moment. I don't know what might be causing this. Any suggestions?

btbyrd

A bit more information after that last post… when the dropouts occur, the status of "firewire 1" under the "clock" setup menu changes back and forth between "OK" and "unlocked".

IDeangelis

Unfortunately you don't specify:

-clocking source

-which are the changes you added to routing  #27?

-is the H8000 connected on a FW bus with nothing else connected (hard disks/audio interfaces/anything FW)?

-*when* exactly the dropouts occur (at presets changes/?) ?

best

I

IDeangelis

It would also help to know which FireWire chip (brand) your PC has?

I

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.