Severe Update Problem to 4.01 on Compact Flash Card. Mangled the entire OS.

Home Forums Products Rackmount Severe Update Problem to 4.01 on Compact Flash Card. Mangled the entire OS.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      zap
      Participant

After I loaded in the flash card with 4.01 downloaded from the website, i inserted it in while it was off, held #1 while powering on the unit for an update, it went through some updates but did NOT complete.  This is severe.   near the end of the update process, it said " " unable to open file, programming halted." and now when i turn on the unit is says "powering on 4.01, and then: error loading algorithm #0 – press any key to continue,- and then BADALG3 MIDICLOCK CG: 1.6 ALG: 1.4. Press any key to continue – and then it is totally blank and empy with the display 000. there is no program in the system.    this is a piece of junk.  i did not buy this to program computers, i bought it to run my guitar through effects.  why do audio companies not seem to understand this?   now what do i possibly do about this?

sean.e
      Participant

Zap:

this is a piece of junk.  i did not buy this to program computers, i bought it to run my guitar through effects.  why do audio companies not seem to understand this?

If that's the case, why did you bother doing the update? What do you want audio companies to understand?  That you don't want updates?

I definitely like getting updates and don't wish for the 80s when you bought a box and that was it.

IDeangelis

Hi Zap

hard to say why you got this problem. It may be a corrupted download, a non compatible compac flash card…..

Which OS version was the unit running on?

Have you already used that same card for previous OS updates?

You can try the following:

-reinstall the previous version 3.51, using a card or a serial cable

-check your bootloader version

both procedures and files are available here:

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Harmonizers%20and%20Rack%20Products/Eclipse.aspx#downloads

please let us know

best

I

zap
      Participant

its fine ow, i reinstalled 3.5 from the flash, and then reinstalled 4.01 and it works now.

please keep me posted as to the progress of eclipse algorithm plans for the future.  

i am letting my audio engineer partner borrow this.  can we program our own stepper algorithm since you previously said there is no such algorithm in the eclipse but that they must somehow be programmed?    my friend is a nut for this stuff, he is insane with reaktor, so it should be no problem for him… will he be able to pull this off?

IDeangelis

Good the problem is solved.

I said the Eclipse doesn't have a step modulator AND that it could be programmed on the Vsigfile Editor supported units, like the H7600 or H8000FW. You can't create algorithms on Eclipse.

The way it may be created can be different from other similar functions in other units, so things should be well evaluated before attempting to do it.

all the best

I

zap
      Participant

ok. now i think i understand.  so then what can you say IS a future upgrade for this unit? is there any hope on the horizon for something intelligently rhythmic at all? 

IDeangelis

I wouldn't hold my breath on this. We have been frequently updating the Eclipse and lately even upgrading it, with the inclusion of TF & MF presets, but as far as adding deeper OS functions… there are no plans.

all the best

I

zap
      Participant

well now that this is clarified, i am planning on selling my Rane PEQ10 since an eventide EQ will now
      always be on and likely the eventide internal compressor too. But i need to be able to use crossovers with the compressor.    what do you think i need?  would the addition of an H7600 be overkill to be alongside my eclipse? Can they both do a crossover function with comp?  and also, are they both the same in terms of tonal quality?    i think the only reason to also buy a 7600 would be the stepper and an ultra shifter… does the 7600 have the pitch factor stuff?

in addition, do the EQs shound the same across these 2 rack units? (basically do the 2 rack units have that same signature color?  or are there variations in the tonality among these rack units?

and which unit will allow me to use only one channel out of a SPDIF signal and the other channel to be used XLR simultaneously?   and set different input gain levels for each channel?   because my guitar amps unbalanced FX loop is a signal needing to be treated differently than my vocalist's signal.

what about ultrashifting?  what are the advantages?  what do i need?

IDeangelis

Zap

I don't exactly know what you need. In general you have to keep in mind the following:

-the H-series is the top line Harmonizer. You get better sound quality and full versatility as you can literally build your own algorithms from scratch or starting from a factory one (there are hundreds of them already).

-the stepper is something you will have to create. I cannot guarantee what you can build or not. This needs to be checked first, to understand if you'll get what you need. We have Vsigfile editor and H-units databases on the website, that can be downloaded and used on a windows pc to get the idea on what the programming can be.

-Ultrashifter is more of a studio tool that requires a lot of tweaking/optimization. It's also very heavy demanding on DSP resources and will pretty much max out a 7600 with only 2 voices of shifting.

-in terms of sound color, this is a very personal topic. Rest assured that the musical quality of the Eventide Harmonizer is there, and in a better format than on Eclipse.

-an other advantage of the H series is the fact you have several different modules to create any kind of effects. There are many different variations of EQs we also used in the plugins.

-as far as using different sources/channels/formats, the H8000 is the unit! With its Routing architecture you can almost get anything to anything in different audio formats. This may also require modding algorithms I/O structures to fit the system connections.

all the best

Italo

zap
      Participant

ok.. but for now i am gonna have have to stick to the eclipse until things pick up in my career… so how much worse is the eclipse sound quality?  and howcome the manual does not say how thin you can set the bandwith of one of the bands of  an EQ – in fact there is nothing about an EQ in the manual….   can you set a band to be 1/12th of an octave?  because if yes, then i will no longer have a need for my Rane PEQ-55 – but what sounds better the eclipse or the rane PEQ-55?

zap
      Participant

and are you telling me there is not a single stock stepper/arpeggiator mod source that can be assigned to modulate not just pitch but also other things in the entire H8000?  5000 dollars is alot of money to pay for missing step sequencer and/or missing default arp -to-mod matrix presets other than arp to pitch. (meaning examples like mean arp to cutoff… or arp to ANYTHING).

because there is no way i am getting into programming that… that is not the job of me as a consumer musician… for the exact same reason being that as an electric guitar player, i do not engineer my guitar amp modifications i have an ENGINEER do that.  The Access Virus forum also understands quite well that I am not getting into sound design as I need that already designed – thats why i bought the virus.  I get my guitar tone from a Marshall but I did not mod the components of a marshalll.  I am in no way qualified to do that, and would still in no way whatsoever be qualified to program an H8000 VSIG algorithm, regardless if i read the VSIG manual.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.