Somebody found a sequencer for the 8000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Somebody found a sequencer for the 8000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      zap
      Participant

Somebody in another forum sent a picture of Vsig indicating that that yes there is indeed a sequencer module and it is located under the Miscellaneous drop down menu.  Can anyone confirm this is a step sequencer?   Or is this something he just created?

Here is the picture he sent me.:

(I cannot confirm it myself because i cannot even open the program even because after I download VSIG it says
      choose which program to open it with.  But i thought it WAS the
      program.)

sean.e
      Participant

From the help file in VSig, here is the description of the Sequencer module:

The sequencer module
      is used to create a repetitive sequence of "mod" signal output values. This is
      very useful in creating a pitch arpeggiator with a pitch shifter.

The sequencer
      functions like a table lookup. A specified number of values are stored in
      memory, and depending on the value of the audio input signal, the corresponding
      value is sent to the output. To create a sequencer, a ramp waveform from an LFO
      drives the input of the sequencer, producing a consistent pattern of output
      values. (On the LFO, a ramp is a triangle with 100% duty cycle)

It's a simple sequencer with up to 50 steps…

zap
      Participant

hmm… so a step sequencer?   similar to the arpeggiator of the access virus which can be converted to modulate any parameter in the mod matrix of access virus?

It's been a while since I worked with the Virus, but I'd say yes, it's similar.  The Harmonizer sequencer outputs a "mod" signal, so you can hook it to anything that takes mod signals as input.  To control the sequencer, you'll have to attach something to its input to tell it which step to put out.  For example, if you want to sweep from the start to the end, attach an LFO with a ramp to the input.  If you want to sweep up and back, put a 50% duty cycle triangle on the input…

Check out the help file in vsig…

zap
      Participant

Can my hired programmer of choice program it ti behave very flexibility in terms of smaller rhythm subdivisions within beats just like people are editing in reaktor?  Here is a screenshot of a sequencer somebody programmed for me in reaktor.  and if the shapes are not possible, thats on, i am not going to whine about that… but the problem with the sequencer in my axe FX is that it blows.  I cannot set it for 16 steps and then small steps within steps.  But I hope to be able to set tiny chops within beats to any increment of rhythm or note resolution I wish. 

and finally, what is the best way to learn about how effects are programmed to sound so neat if I ever wish to program my own in VSIG?  because a person can master every detail of Vsig and yet not know how to use it properly to construct effects.

Doesn't look like the screenshot got posted…

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "small steps" or "tiny chops".  Are you trying to further subdivide the beat, or do you want to use a range of the steps in the sequencer?  It almost sounds to me like you want to sample something and then chop it up…

The Harmonizer sequencer is independent of any rhythmic beat or subdivision.  You choose any step in the sequencer by sending a signal to the input on the sequencer at a particular time.  If you only want to play some steps, limit the input to the range of those steps.  This may not seem to be so good at first, but this gives you tremendous flexibility!  The sequencer itself doesn't limit you to how you choose what step to play, it will play anything in any order you specify with the controls earlier in the signal chain.

As for learning how to program effects, I think the best way is to look at the effects programs that are already in the Harmonizer.

Regards,

Doug

zap
      Participant

Oh sorry… here is a link to the picture of the sequencer since wide pictures dont post properly on here.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19596&d=1278316417

i just mean subdivisions of the modulation signal rhythmically within the step.   how else can i explain myself? why is this incompatible or inapplicable any step in set of steps?

why is the sequencer independent of rhythmic beats when music is based on rhythm?  it has to be in sync with rhythm… otherwise why even use it???

what signal to the input?   Is the sequencer not a modulation source to be assignable to any modulation destination?  Why can we not keep this simple?

Learning by looking at the effects programs already in the harmonizer?   Well it would be nice to have a step-by step breakdown of one element at a time in sequence to learn it… but if this is not an option then the preset analysis will have to do I guess.

rfactor
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

If you are trying to learn to write presets, this old article on how to "duplicate" an Omnipressor with a preset might be helpful.

http://96.242.89.169/vsigfile/omnipressor.htm

zap
      Participant

Oh ok.  But is the omnipressor already existent in the HKs to analyze as well?

Yes compressors are nice but i am talking more FX.   Anyways, what about a link to programming a sequencer as I have shared in the reaktor screenshot link in my previous post?  Or is that easy to program once reading up on everything?  I need that EXACT sequencer duplicated in the HKs.  If this is true, then I am commited. 

But also, would you say the converters are as good as a symphony?

And how is the mastering capabilities of the HKs?

Zap:

here is a link to the picture of the sequencer since wide pictures dont post properly on here.

That looks interesting…  Sort of like a wave table…  I have a copy of Reaktor around here somewhere, maybe after I release the next version of my own software I'll take the time to play with it…

Quote:
      i just mean subdivisions of the modulation signal rhythmically within the step.   how else can i explain myself? why is this incompatible or inapplicable any step in set of steps? why is the sequencer independent of rhythmic beats when music is based on rhythm?  it has to be in sync with rhythm… otherwise why even use it???

The sequencer module in the Harmonizer is a building block, not a complete sequencer.  As I said in my last message, this may not seem to be good, but it opens up a lot of possibilities!  You have to think of using the Harmonizer sequencer module as part of a bigger sequencing system.  Other parts of that system control synchronization, speed, direction, step choice, etc.  In a programming sense, the Harmonizer sequencer module is an array of values with a method that outputs a selected value when triggered.

Quote:
      Is the sequencer not a modulation source to be assignable to any modulation destination?  Why can we not keep this simple?

In a sense, Eventide DID keep it simple!  The sequencer module itself is VERY simple, which means that you can do a lot more things with it than with a more complicated sequencer like the one you mentioned previously…

Regards,

Doug

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.