SPDIF RCA phono to male AES/EBU XLR

Home Forums Products Rackmount SPDIF RCA phono to male AES/EBU XLR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

I have a synth with a coaxial RCA phono output, which can have its format changed to send an AES signal instead of SPDIF. I want to connect the synth to my AES/EBU interface but don't know the correct impedance the cable should be. It would also be handy to know which pins are soldered to which wires. Help greatly appreciated.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I would just plug it in to the SP/DIF – should work OK.

wilkinsi
      Participant

The only way is a cable with RCA on one end and XLR on the other. The problem is I don't know for definite what impedance the cable needs to be.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

AES is 110 ohms, SP/DIF usually about 75. Not critical unless the cable is long.

Connect pin 3 of the XLR to ground on the RCA, pin 2 to hot. Or the other way round – it will work either way.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Thanks. Is there a set impedance per metre guideline? At what length does the impedance become important? Or rather, is there a "x" metre = "x" ohm conversion rate?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I did transmission line theory at University, but it was a long time ago. Impedance for a cable is constant, and not affected by length.

The issue is more that problems caused by mismatches increase with longer cables.

I think you are worrying too much – do what you think is right, and worry about problems only when they occur. Example – AES specifies 110 ohms, but most people use mike cables – who knows what the impedance of a mike cable is ?

wilkinsi
      Participant

Thanks for the reassurance Smile

wilkinsi
      Participant

Unfortunately, it didn't work. No audio full stop.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Had the cable redone – got audio buried in digital clipping. Please, for the novice that I am, post a diagram stating which pins should be connected at both ends.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

AES is symmetrical, meaning it can be connected either way. Try connecting pin 1 and 3 to ground, and pin 2 to hot.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I'll try that. Meanwhile, I connected SPDIF RCA from the EMU to the Eclipse, and the same problem occurs – its the clock of the EMU that's at fault.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.