Substituting Apogee Converters with 7600/8000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Substituting Apogee Converters with 7600/8000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      zap
      Participant

Hello, since I am buying either a 7600 or 8000,  for placing after my axe FX for guitar and after the preamp for vocals – then is there any sense in even Keeping my Apogee rosetta converter?  Because the signal would already converted to digital in the eventide, and to get to the apogee i would have to convert out analog again from the eventide – so would not the Apogee be useless?  Because I heard that the Eventide can also serve as the master wordclock…. but is this clock as stable as the apogee wordclock or do I still need my apogee?

In addition, does anyone know why they ommitted putting in an optical out for the 7600?  Why just a digital commercial-grade coaxial out?  Makes no sense!    And is it easy to install one in the 7600 since there seems to be empty slots at the back? Because I do not want to spend the extra money on an 8000 just because it has optical and surround versions of the same presets.  Because I only make 2-channel stereo music.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Zap:

is there any sense in even Keeping my Apogee rosetta converter?

Your main reason to keep this would be that you enjoy its sound quality.

Zap:

Because I heard that the Eventide can also serve as the master wordclock…. but is this clock as stable as the apogee wordclock or do I still need my apogee?

Pretty much any part of your system with W/C out could serve as the master – which one you pick is mainly down to the overall system design. The H8000 W/C out is pretty stable when it is running on internal crystal – if it is being driven by AES/ADAT its quality will be dependent on that of the AES/ADAT. Apogee products also have a very good reputation.

Sorry – these are complex topics with no simple answer.

The 7600 lacks many things that the H8000 has, mainly to try and reduce the cost. Also, optical S/PDIF is mainly used for consumer applications, rather than professional audio. There is no easy way to add it to the H7600.

A Web search for "optical spdif converter" will produce a number of low cost adaptors, but we have no experience of them as this issue rarely comes up.

zap
      Participant

Ok but the 7600 has all the same effects as the 8000 but just not the surround versions right?

Because for a guitar processor – i have narrowed it down to either a 7600 or a TC fireworx.  But I am just wondering if the 7600 also has all those pseudo fake surround panning like the TC stuff. 

Also, it says for the new space eventide stomp box, the effects are taken from the 8000 and the eclipse.  what about any from the 7600?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Zap:

the 7600 has all the same effects as the 8000 but just not the surround versions right?

The 7600 has essentially all the stereo programs, and some stereo versions of the multichannel effects of the H8000. Note the use of the modifiers "essentially" and "some". For the reasons that will be obvious to you it does not have the surround effects.

Zap:

the effects are taken from the 8000 and the eclipse.  what about any from the 7600?

Since the 7600 and H8000 stereo effects are usually the same, there is no particular difference. Note that the Space effects are based on these – does not mean that they are the same.

zap
      Participant

Oh ok, what about those presets that make someone's vocals sound like a monster?

And  what about those surround blocks in the TC fireworx or g-force which can simulate surround in only 2 channel – can the 7600 do similar pseuodo surround effects in 2 channel?

this is the last time i will ask for these kind of clarifications, but for a guitarist doing 2 channel stuff, i assume a 7600 is sufficient enough for my needs.  i hope its much better than the TC units I mention.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.