suggestions for use of the 8 AES in/outs on h9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount suggestions for use of the 8 AES in/outs on h9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      taylor12k
      Participant

i’ve got an h9000r and am about to upgrade my main audio interface to a Lynx Aurora(n) which will have 8 AES ins and outs. seems like a pretty perfect marriage to the h9000’s bank of 8 AES….

i use the h9000 now simply via a single analog connection to an aux on my console, but i’m thinking i’ll probably now configure those AES ports as i/o in pro tools so i can run tracks out to the 9000 and back to PT..

wondering if anyone else has creative uses for the AES or something i’m not thinking about..

thanks!

taylor

hemlocxl
      Participant
      taylor12k wrote:

i’ve got an h9000r and am about to upgrade my main audio interface to a Lynx Aurora(n) which will have 8 AES ins and outs. seems like a pretty perfect marriage to the h9000’s bank of 8 AES….

i use the h9000 now simply via a single analog connection to an aux on my console, but i’m thinking i’ll probably now configure those AES ports as i/o in pro tools so i can run tracks out to the 9000 and back to PT..

wondering if anyone else has creative uses for the AES or something i’m not thinking about..

thanks!

taylor

Do you have an HDX setup for Pro Tools?  I just ordered the PT Expansion card that Eventide just announced.  I already have a Dante expansion card, also.  They both give you 32 channels, so it will give you a LOT more I/O in addition to that AES I/o.  Or you can free up that AES I/o for processing some other hardware!  Which is what I am planning on doing

taylor12k
      Participant

no, i don’t use PT HD.. and don’t think i’ll ever need more than 8 AES as i don’t have any other outboard with AES connections except for a bricasti. .. but, yeah, both the h9000 and Lynx offer quite a bit of expansion opportunities …. i think for starters i’ll give it a shot using the AES as hardware inserts/auxes in pro tools.. that should open up some fun….

KazRemark
      Participant

I just set up mine this way, I have the 8 analog I/O on the patchbay but am also running AES/EBU to my Lynx.  I plan to have 2x stereo AES hardwired in my default session to sends 1/2 and then use the other stereo pairs for inserts.  Will switch over to analog I/O if I want to print effects while recording. 

taylor12k
      Participant

thanks for the great info… yeah, i assumed they were mono.. but my confusion lied in DA AD convertors that run a stereo signal over one cable… so wasn’t sure if that was standard or not…

thanks for the tip about multiple digital connectors… fortunately i only plan on using the AES via dSub…

hemlocxl
      Participant
      taylor12k wrote:

no, i don’t use PT HD.. and don’t think i’ll ever need more than 8 AES as i don’t have any other outboard with AES connections except for a bricasti. .. but, yeah, both the h9000 and Lynx offer quite a bit of expansion opportunities …. i think for starters i’ll give it a shot using the AES as hardware inserts/auxes in pro tools.. that should open up some fun….

That should work pretty well.  And you always have room for I/O expansion later on down the road! I’ll be set up for 64 channels once the Pro Tools card shows up(I think the H9000 tops out at 96, which is almost overkill, lol!).  As for AES, I’ve been converting a bunch of my AES-equipped gear to AVIO Dante adapters

John Baylies
      Participant
      hemlocxl wrote:
      I think the H9000 tops out at 96

It tops out at 128.

hemlocxl
      Participant
      John Baylies wrote:

hemlocxl wrote:
      I think the H9000 tops out at 96

It tops out at 128.

Ooooooooooooo, I think I misunderstood when I saw that the 3 Expansion Boards top out at 96.  Ha, the more channels the better!!!  I’ve already ordered my Pro Tools HD Expansion Board, but I am wondering will Emote run on individual tracks in PT with that card or will I need to create an Aux and put Emote on that bus??  

John Baylies
      Participant
      hemlocxl wrote:
      will Emote run on individual tracks in PT with that card or will I need to create an Aux and put Emote on that bus?? 

Check out rskaudio's comment here: https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/40113#comment-40113

taylor12k
      Participant

yeah, sounds great…

so here’s a dumb question.. when they say 8 AES channels… does that mean 8 STEREO channels? or 8 MONO channels? ( i assume mono?)

KazRemark wrote:

I just set up mine this way, I have the 8 analog I/O on the patchbay but am also running AES/EBU to my Lynx.  I plan to have 2x stereo AES hardwired in my default session to sends 1/2 and then use the other stereo pairs for inserts.  Will switch over to analog I/O if I want to print effects while recording. 

John Baylies
      Participant
      taylor12k wrote:
      so here's a dumb question.. when they say 8 AES channels… does that mean 8 STEREO channels? or 8 MONO channels? ( i assume mono?)

AES/EBU, ADAT, and S/PDIF: each support 8 mono channels in and 8 mono channels out.

There are a few general “rules” about signal routing in the H9000 which are useful to keep in mind.

You can only use one of the following digital audio protocols at any given time:

• AES3 (aka AES/EBU) over the DB25 connector
      • AES3 (aka AES/EBU) over the XLR connector
      • S/PDIF over the optical connector
      • S/PDIF over the RCA connector
      • ADAT over the optical connector

When using S/PDIF over the optical ADAT connectors, you can only work at sample rates of 44.1kHz and 48kHz. 88.2kHz and 96kHz are not supported.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.