Syncing tap tempo with Eclipse, Pitchfactor and PCM92

Home Forums Products Rackmount Syncing tap tempo with Eclipse, Pitchfactor and PCM92

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Aro
      Participant

I want to be able to control the tempo of the mentioned three units with one tap tempo footswitch. It's ok for me to do this with a dedicated footswitch connected to one of the devices or by a momentary midi CC footswitch connected to my midi controller (Skrydstrup SC-1).

The problem is that the Lexicon PCM92 doesn't allow tempo to be assigned to a midi CC – it is however possible to assing the tempo to a footswitch connected to it.

So my question is, how can I get the three units to react to one tap tempo pedal? For instance, can the eclipse send the tempo data (given to it by the tap tempo midi CC) out thru its midi out/thru jacks to the Lexicon? Or do I need to use the word clock BNC connections between the  units – if so what kind cable is needed?

Or if I could use a dedicated tap tempo pedal connected to the PCM92, can I get the Eclipse and Pitchfactor to sync to that tempo?

Thanks!

IDeangelis

Hi Aro

in your scenario the best solution is probably having one unit being the master clock generator and the other two receive from it.

Eclipse > SETUP > MIDI > SYSEX > CLK OUT: this setting enables sending MIDI CLOCK out, from the MIDI OUT port.

Connect Pitchfactor to Eclipse MIDI OUT and the Lexi off  Pitchfactor MIDI THRU port.

Enable their MIDI CLOCK reception and you should be fine.

Setting Eclipse Tap Tempo on FootSwitch should generate its own clock and pass it along the MIDI chain to the other devices.

all the best

I

Aro
      Participant

OK, I tried this out but it doesn't work for me – here's why:

I need to be able to have all the devices react to midi cc's (control change) sent by my midi controller – and in addition pitchfactor should also respond to sent midi pc (program change) commands.

I can get the PCM92 receive tempo information from Eclipse clock sent from its Midi Out port, but I couldn't get Eclipse to send to tempo information thru it's Thru port. Also I couldn't get Eclipse's Midi Out port to send the mifi "thru" data sent from my midi controller. If this is possible. please let me know.

So if  I tap the tempo to Eclipse using cc's and my midi controller, can the Eclipse send this tempo information to PCM92 from the midi clock (BNC) output?

Thanks

winy

Hi Aro,

Unfortunately I can't help in your question but you may help me. I assume that your devices are in a guitar rack, aren't they.

How did you do the Midi setup of the PCM92? I mean there is no midi mapping and in the manual there is the following written:

===========================================================================

Controller 32 is sent to the system (to select the desired bank),
      followed by a Preset Change message to select a preset. The Bank values are
      “sticky,” meaning the PCM92 will remember the Bank values for each MIDI
      channel. It is not necessary to send a Bank change with each Preset Change
      unless the Bank has indeed changed.

I have a pretty similar midi controller but I didn't manage to get it to work. I have one system preset with mono in and stereo out and several machine presets with only one virtual machine. the system has no midi channel because there is only one. The virtual machine has a midi channel. The problem is that I don't know what is meant by the explanation from the manual.

Could you help me?

Thanks,

Winy

timothyhill

I don't have an Eclipse, or a PCM92, but I do have experience with MIDI, etc., that may be of assistance.

First, the BNC Clock Out has absolutely nothing to do with MIDI Tempo… it's used to sync the sample rates of the digital converters.

Secondly, if you have your Eclipse set up as suggested by IDeangelis, run a MIDI cale from the Eclipse MIDI Out >> PCM92 MIDI In. Run a second MIDI cable fromthe PCM92 MIDI Thru to the TimeFactor MID In.

Third, in the PitchFactor, set the MIDI program change receive and MIDI clock receive options to ON, also as suggested by IDeangelis, see the PitchFactor's UM for details.

Last, since you said in your second post, you've already got the PCM92 to respond to the MIDI clock sent from the Eclipse, but if not, refer to the PCM92's UM for details.

Mostly, this sounds like a cabling issue. Your system should be connected as follows:

Eclipse MIDI Out >> PCM92 MIDI In

PCM92 MIDI Out >> PitchFactor MIDI In

Note: I'm sure you already know this, but the above has nothing to do with the audio path, so you'll still need to connect everything with audio cables, too.

timothyhill

Sorry, my typing and proof-reading skills seem to have gone out the window tonight. In addition to other hopefully obvious typos, I meant to say…

Eclipse MIDI Out >> PCM92 MIDI In

PCM92 MIDI Thru >> PitchFactor MIDI In

winy

Hi Tim

No problem, my typing is also not very well, I am Swiss.

I think my problem is not the cabeling but the Preset Change of the PCM92. Everything is working well in my system. G-Force and Eclipse are working well but PCM92 doesn't.

In the manual of the PCM92 is written:

Controller 32 is sent to the system (to select the desired bank),
      followed by a Preset Change message to select a preset. The Bank values are
      “sticky,” meaning the PCM92 will remember the Bank values for each MIDI
      channel. It is not necessary to send a Bank change with each Preset Change
      unless the Bank has indeed changed.

I think that's the point but I don't know how to do that. I don't know how to send a Controller 32 followed by the Preset Change to the PCM92 at a time.

Thanks,

Winy

timothyhill

Winy, wish I could help there, but I don't have a PCM92. Have you tried any Lexicon forums?

timothyhill

Aro, here's some additional information that might help. Again, I don't have a PCM92, so I can't verify these settings, but I think it'll at least point you in the right direction.

For setting up program change on the PCM92, check the PCM92 UM pages 20 and 24-25 changes. Bank info is not necessary, but MIDI needs to be ON and the Base Channel and/or Virtual Machine channel needs to match the channel that is used to transmit program change data.

For setting up MIDI tempo on the PCM92, check the PCM92 UM pages 20-21. Again, MIDI needs to be ON and MIDI channel config is as above.

If the Eclipse is transmitting successfully to the PitchFactor, then the Eclipse is set up correctly. If not, refer to the Eclipse UM page 46 and 48-49 for MIDI Program, MIDI Clock, and MIDI Channel

PitchFactor MIDI setup is in the PitchFactor UM on pages 41 and 46-51. Refer to the sections on RCV CH, XMT CH, OUTPUT, CLK IN, and CLK OUT.

Remember, MIDI channels on receiving devices need to be set to OMNI or the SAME channel as the transmitting device. MIDI Program Change Transmit and MIDI Clock Out needs to be ON on the transmitting device and MIDI Program Change Receive and MIDI Clock IN needs to be ON on the receiving devices.

MIDI cables go from MIDI Out on the transmitting device to MIDI IN on the first receiving device, subsequent receiving devices should be connected to the previous device's MIDI THRU (or MIDI OUT if MIDI MERGE is enabled) to the following device's MIDI IN.

MIDI OUT >> MIDI IN — MIDI THRU >> MIDI IN — MIDI THRU >> MIDI IN

Anyway, Aro, I hope this helps a little… good luck and let us know how it goes, ok?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.