TF Looper preset Qs – footswitch and loop length

Home Forums Products Rackmount TF Looper preset Qs – footswitch and loop length

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      erikbojerik

I've never used a looper but now with the 4.01 upgrade I find myself with one.  Smile  I'm interested to possibly use this in a live situation.

#1 I'd like to control this via a footswitch, but since both my pedal jacks are taken for expression pedals…..can I assign various functions of this preset (Play, Stop & Record) to specific external controllers and toggle them on/off via midi?  

#2 is it possible to have the loop length synced with the global tempo?  In a live situation I'd like to control the loop length using Record (via footswitch), but have the loop length to be quantized to the nearest bar (or fraction of a bar) according to the global tempo when I stop recording the loop (even if I don't switch it at the exact end of the bar to the nearest nanosecond).  Possible?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

#1 You should be able to ues the normal MIDI functions, but, to be honest, I have not tried it for this application. Study the UM, give it a try, and come back if you have problems.

#2 if Tempo is on, you should be able to set the loop length in beats. But, I don't have an Eclipse in front of me so cannot confirm this.

erikbojerik

As expected – this works very well!

For the TF Looper I assigned these parameters to external controllers:

Record = ext#3 (general 1 = midi CC#16 momentary)

Play = ext#4 (general 2 = midi CC#17 momentary)

Stop = ext#5 (general 3 = midi CC#18 momentary)

On my G system floorboard I have three switches dedicated to sending these midi CC#s – so this allows me to Record, Play and Stop with my feet – nice!

Now what I'd love is a programmable small MIDI footswitch to dedicate to this, so I don't have to give up three functions on my G system!  The Behringer FCB will get me there, but it would be nice to have something that is like 3-5 switches instead of an additional full floorboard….

erikbojerik

OK – so I finally found the 3-switch MIDI-programmable solution that is perfect for a looper.

The Lodigy UMI3

http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1

It also comes with a software editor for Windows and Mac OS X.

Only catch is that it is USB so if you don't want to run it off a laptop, you'll need a USB-to-MIDI converter.

ctc

erikbojerik:

As expected – this works very well!

For the TF Looper I assigned these parameters to external controllers:

Record = ext#3 (general 1 = midi CC#16 momentary)

Play = ext#4 (general 2 = midi CC#17 momentary)

Stop = ext#5 (general 3 = midi CC#18 momentary)

On my G system floorboard I have three switches dedicated to sending these midi CC#s – so this allows me to Record, Play and Stop with my feet – nice!

By "external controllers" do you mean RCV CTL in the TF?
      So you assigned buttons on your controller as momentary type switches and these CC's, what value did you give them?

I can't get my TF looper to respond.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      these CC's, what value did you give them?

Your question has been marinating here (and in the Stompboxes forum).  I don't own an Eclipse, but I've been through a lot of MIDI gear.  On occasion, you'll see a strict value of 0 for "off", and a single value of 127 for "on".  Most gear switches to Off with a CC value between 0-63, and On with a CC value between 64-127 (including the 'Factor pedals).

Some rare devices allow you to set an On threshold of any value over an OnSource entry (a programmable value from 0-127).  I suppose that another thing to look for is that your MIDI controller isn't sending two values with a toggling action.  That is, a value of 127 when pressed, and a value of 0 when the switch is released.

ctc

It seems that the TF only responds to on messages 64-127: the first time to activate a feature; the second time to deactivate it. None of the looper controls respond to any midi messages!? Has anybody successfully done this?

erikbojerik

My original post was specifically for the TF Looper preset within the Eclipse – not the hardware TF.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.