Tuner Update in v4.0?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Tuner Update in v4.0?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      flyangus

Just wondering if there would be an improved tuner (guitar) in the next update? I'm using a Strobostomp at the moment and would much rather leave it at home!

Cheers.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The current "Tuner" preset is unchanged. Do you find it unsuitable ?

flyangus

I just find it less accurate than the Strobostomp, the SS appears to do a better job of getting the guitar in tune IME. Is it just me? User error maybe?

IDeangelis

Hi flyangus

how exactly do you use the Tuner presets?

best

I

flyangus

Hi!

I use it in the loop of an Elmwood Modena M60 which I run in parallel. The loop output is line level. I have tried OUTBY and the METER.

Thanks

IDeangelis

Actually this tuner is extremely accurate and can show 1 cent/halfstep offtune.

Probably too accurate.

Here's what you can do:

-first thing is to have the tuner preset calibrated for guitar. Set lownote to D2 and leave Highnote to E6. This sets the proper range for the guitar.

-CAL(ibration) should stay on the frequency used for reference A4. Generally 440Hz is used and should only be changed if you are playing in sloghtly offset tuning. It happens in studio recordings with reeds.

-make sure you have a good input level to Eclipse, blinking on the yellow leds.

These advices help having the pitch detection optimized to your instrument.

You'll finally only need to use the -I+ meter bar. The string will be in tune when the meter bar is half lighted with its right edge hitting the very center.

Repeat tuning by playing a single string several times as its initial part of level envelope is what the tuner uses best for pitch detection. When the sound of the string decays it may not be very precise.

all the best

I

flyangus

Thanks, I tried changing the lownote and it does seem to have improved. 🙂

The initial part of the envelope is always sharp then it settles down, are you saying I should try to pluck the string say once a second or so for best accuracy? If that's the case I'm going to be doing a contortionist impression since all my guitars are Floyd Rose equipped!!!! 🙂

IDeangelis

Contorsionism is good!

Geeked

That should work fine. Pluck, check, wait…pluck, check wait…..

Floyd Rose is too sensitive!

best

I

geminimac

I've been using the "OUTBY" mode. It should get you as close as your guitar will get. 

geminimac

When running through the effects loop on my VHT the tuner fluctuates much more than plugging the guitar straight into the analog input (seemed dead on that way). I expect it's that way through most effects loops (depending on what's in between)?

G-Major unit flucuates less in the effects loop but still isn't as accurate as the Eclipse, just easier to read. The GuitarRig3 tuner seems not quite as presice as the Eclipse either. I need to investigate that more. 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.