Unwanted distorion Eventide Eclipse

Home Forums Products Rackmount Unwanted distorion Eventide Eclipse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Slater
      Participant

Hello,

I’ve just purchased and installed an Eclipse V4 and there is a lot of distortion even when the unit is in bypass mode.

I have checked the I/O levels for the analogue input and output I am using and the distortion is there even at low I/O levels.

I have tried resetting the unit by holding down 8 on startup but the distortion is still there.

Can anyone help? Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You really give us no information, making it hard to help.

My guess is that it is one of the following, in order of likeliness:

1) You are using the low impedance XLR inputs, and your signal source is unable to drive them. If so, try the 1/4" jacks.

2) Whatever follows the Eclipse is being overloaded – try turning down the output.

3) (Least likely) there is a hardware fault in the Eclipse. If you think this is the case, contact your dealer or support@eventide.com

willcbanks

I have the same problem

My input levels show -12db but the sound is completely distorted.

I havent been able to use this once since I bought it. Just a brick in the corner at the moment.

Very dissapointed.

Both SPDIF and analog have the same problem

When I hit bypass it sounds perfect, but when the effects are running it souds distorted.

Doesn’t make any sense that I need to turn my input signal down to -18db to get a clean sound? It’s unuseable like this.

I hope it’s still under warranty coz I bough it last year and have been busy with other work so I just presumed it was me setting something wrong, but now going back to it – it seems broken to me.

Also I am in Australia and I bought it from Thomann in Germany. So I guess they sent me some piece of junk they dropped or something.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As often, little actual information. It is very hard to help you.

What are you connecting to the inputs and outputs ?

If you are connecting to one of the Eclipse's balanced ins/outs, are you either balanced, or correctly unbalanced ?

The fact that you have the same problem with SP/DIF, suggests the problem may be on the output.

What are the meter readings ?

I suggest you discuss it with your dealer.

willcbanks

The weird thing is – some presets sound ok – others sound totally distorted – this is with factory settings. How can that be?

I have never had any issues with my soundcard before.

The Digital In shows -12db

All other levels are set to 0db.

The analogue inputs are unplugged.

I have an audio file whihc peaks at -12db playing on a channel in Cubase 7.5 and I have the Eclipse set up an external effect. Send & Return are both set to 0db.

When I play the audio file with the effect off it is totally clean.

When I activate the effect it is distorted.

The Digital In level is ahowing -12db.

It is most noticeable on preset 142 – DetunePlex.

Other presets sound OK, but I am concerned that something is wrong with the digital input on the Eclipse.

willcbanks

Is there any possible reason why the sound would be clean when I press BYPASS, but crackly and distorted when I turn off BYPASS?

Surely this means it is faulty?

(I am using factory presets)

If you can come up with any reason why this would happen please let me know – because otherwise I have to send my Eclipse back to Germany (I live in Australia)

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Please give examples of presets showing this behavior.

Does the distortion change if you lower the input level ?

musikproduzent
      Participant

Hello, my eclipse ist from 2018 and at several programs I got the same unwanted distortion. My signalchain is RME-Fireface 802 -> ADAT -> eclipse. I played a Gibson Les Paul direct into the RME with about -18db. This is the level I’ll send to the eclipse. When I check the several level meter, the eclipse shows me maximum -12db. The program 224 ChorusSpace2 is loaded. The space algorythm is aon FXA. I found out, when I lower “Decay” from 93% to 80% in the master of FXA, the distortion went off. When I raise to 100% the distortion is very heavy. It seem, the higher the decay the space algotithm rock up. @eventide stuff: Please would you be so kind and check this if it is possible for you. Thanks in advance. Yours Thomas 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Without being there, it is hard to know. You are probably not overloading the Eclipse input at -12dB, but you may be overloading the effect internally, or whatever follows the Eclipse.

Try reducing first the input gain, then the output gain, to see if the distortion changes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.