Upcoming overdrive / distortion algorithms

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Upcoming overdrive / distortion algorithms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 62 reply threads
  • Author
      harmamusic

Hi,

I visited MusikMesse yesterday and Alan was showing new overdrive / distortion algorithms. Are there more details about these and will the release indeed be in about a month?

cheers,

harry

davidkaeser
      Participant

Yeeees !!! Crazy ! Thanks for the news ! 🙂

Bodde
      Participant

ok great news! very curious what Eventide comes up with….

madmac
      Participant

oh cool can't wait to try those out!

marcusm750

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!  Surprise

Wow, this is fantastic news!  Oh please, Big E, say it's true!

LA Keys
      Participant

"Who do not deny admits"

Smile

LA

lordradish
      Participant

That's actually a little disappointing… there is no shortage of good distortion boxes out there. What makes the H9 so good is it does things that no others do. Now, if it's some sort of twisted, otherworldly distortion, that could be very interesting, but I hope it's not just a bunch of typical distortion sounds.

LA Keys
      Participant

To me it is a GREAT news, while I know that there's tons of other pedal that do distortion very well but I really like the idea of NOT to have to buy a new pedal just for that … (except maybe a third H9, but that's another story)

LA

Bodde
      Participant

lordradish:

That's actually a little disappointing… there is no shortage of good distortion boxes out there. What makes the H9 so good is it does things that no others do. Now, if it's some sort of twisted, otherworldly distortion, that could be very interesting, but I hope it's not just a bunch of typical distortion sounds.

Sort of agree with you. I like the fact that there comes a distortion algo and I am grateful for that (since I have a MAX). But I hope they implement something 'Eventidish' in it. Hope a delay and/or a pitch shifter is build in the distortion algo. Because you can't combine algos on the H9 just a typical distortion without anything else would be a bit 'boring' I guess.

marcusm750

I agree with you partly, Lord Radish, however, I think there's an aspect of this you're overlooking: Forced Feedback.  If they rumors are true and they do port the preamp from the Eclipse, FF alone is a game changer over standard distortion pedals.  A quick bloom of feedback can make passages dissonant and emotionally interesting like no other effect.

Yes, we are up to our eyeballs these days in dirt boxes.  I recently shelled out for the TC Nova Drive which is one of the best overdrive/distortion pedals ever (and MIDI makes this one a no-brainer).  Still, I'm very eager and excited to hear that Dynamic Distortion (I, II or whatever form it takes) is coming to the H9.

I won't even mention Uni-Vibe for a while.  Wink

achaput

Cheers Harry,

Thanks for checking out the new sounds at Musikmesse! I was demonstrating some unreleased algorithms which Eventide is still working on. Exciting stuff!

Alan

LA Keys
      Participant

achaput:

Exciting stuff!

Yes

LA

Goldmember
      Participant

Alan, that´s great news!

Just imagine the possibilities combining a distortion algo with an expression pedal….heavens!

I assume one of the algos will be a combination of distortion and delay…?

Greetings Andreas

brock
      Participant

I was squarely in the "It's been done before" camp.  But now I'm thinking that Eventide has all of the tools to come up with a variation that's unique, musical and useful.  So, let's see what's in store.

Forced feedback is a good thought.  Or morphing between flavors of distortion.  Multiband distortion and/or octaving + pitch effects also come to mind.  I agree that Eventide should focus on separation from the rest of the pack.  How about some modulation or sequencing influence over select distortion parameters?

madmac
      Participant

This is great news!  There can be no shortage of overdrives!  Dynadrive, optidrive, Eq comp mixed with OD there's plenty of scope here mixing what's been done and coming up with something completely new.  If you want really out there stuff why not just add another H9 max and add whatever you want?

I'm looking forward to these new sounds – the flexibility and power of the H9 with presets for the sounds we all love and enjoy with plenty of tweakable parameters sounds like a ton of fun to me!

It's not been done before on a pedal with iOS control!

brock
      Participant

HotSwitch Off  SIZE  0

HotSwitch Off  PRE=DELAY  2 mS

HotSwitch On  SIZE  100

HotSwitch On  PRE=DELAY  20 mS

Expression Pedal Heel  WOBBLE  25

Expression Pedal Toe   WOBBLE  75

GMGM1974
      Participant

^ that's looks pretty cool IMO!

brock
      Participant

More like FM + filter modulation, disguised as distortion.  I stumbled onto this configuration, and it’s turning out to be versatile as a “multi-effects” unit.  With a few adjustments to the parameter settings, this preset will morph into flanger, filter, wah, delay, ring mod, and resonator FX. Not the standard-issue types of these effects, but some unique variations on those themes.

Expression Pedal Heel:  DELAY B = 0 ms.

Expression Pedal Heel:  MOD DEPTH = 10

Expression Pedal Toe:   DELAY B = 50 ms.

Expression Pedal Toe:    MOD DEPTH = 2

WET MIX:  Tone down the extreme distortion with some dry signal.

DELAY A & DELAY B:  Something strange goes on here.  DELAY A seems to be the “distorter”.  DELAY B can exhibit distorted echoes found in DELAY A.  But the reverse isn’t true.  It reverts to filter action.

FEEDBACK:  Everything from regenerated repeats to resonators to small ‘verbs to “slide whistle” effects (at settings above 100).

SLUR:  Great in conjunction with higher FEEDBACK settings.

MOD SHAPE:  More high frequency sidebands created going from SQUARE – TRIANGLE – SINE.

MOD DEPTH:  Reverse wah effects with decreasing depth of the filter modulation.

FILTER: An additional “mix” control over the distortion.

st.bede
      Participant

Just want to throw my two cents in: if possible I would love to see a frequency band separation to be able to set up two different types of od/dirt on each band. So far the pedal that has really caught my eye has been Brimstone Audio’s Crossover Distortion.

achaput

luchof26
      Participant

I think is nice to have the option of overdrive/fuzz/distortion with my H9. I also have delay and reverb on my board so it is a very welcome adition.

Bodde
      Participant

Great teaser!!!

brock
      Participant

Intriguing.  That was more informative than your “average” teaser video.  There’s a full screen showing all of the pertinent parameters, if you look closely enough.  Someone had that frame posted as a screenshot on TGP shortly after the release.  Looking forward to seeing what can be squeezed out of this new algorithm.

kdavies

Excited about this. If this comes hand in hand with the Pre/Post routing , my H9 willl take on a whole new dimension. 

Bodde
      Participant

Yes saw that screenshot too. I hope there are some good fuzz sounds in the new drive algo (?).

I was hoping for a simple delay that was combined with the drive in this new algo but there isn’t a delay. Now you need an extra pedal for the delay. So you need either another H9 or another delay pedal. I think this would greatly enhance the drive algo. Would be great if we would get more ‘combined’/standalone algos like the Mangled Reverb or the ModEchoVerb.

KCStratman
      Participant

Here is my “spy sketch” based on the teaser screenshot. Looks very cool with sustain, sag, and octaver as well as parametric mids eq. Further galaxy class quality effects from the ET mothership!

Any idea when this will come out?  around Summer NAMM time maybe?

Okay – I’m stupid excited about this. However – it NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS to come with a new feature that allows pre/post routing.

This would be brilliant on ET’s part: now I HAVE to buy another one so I can use the Crushstation up front and some sweet delay/mod/verb in the loop… Or they could be nice and allow more than one algo at a time?!?

In any case, I’m stoked. Bring it on! … soon please 🙂

maxpowersr

Since the H9 does not have pre/post routing, do you think this algo could still sound good in the Fx loop? We will eventually find out but I am curious to the possibitlities.

I was not looking forward to a distortion algo. I would have preferred something else. However, I am not complaining and still looking forward to trying it out. Especially with the octave capabilties. Neil Young’s octave tone is fun to try to mimic and play. 

DaveDaveDave

Can’t wait! Do,we have an ETA yet?

st.bede
      Participant

… I would love to see a factor pedal type of set of od/distortion algorithms… in part the algorithms could be pulled and then elaborated on from already existing od/dirt parameters in other algorithms… None the less I am looking forward to checking out the upcoming algorithm.

gkellum
      Participant

Can't wait! Do,we have an ETA yet?

We had been planning on bringing out a new release this week. Unfortunately, when we tried to submit a new version of H9 Control to Apple last week, they rejected our release and said that new app submissions are now required to be built against their latest iOS version — iOS 8. So, we’re working on doing that. Building against iOS 8 has caused some problems which we’re tracking down. We’re hoping to have them sorted out soon.

JCR
      Participant

We had been planning on bringing out a new release this week. Unfortunately, when we tried to submit a new version of H9 Control to Apple last week, they rejected our release and said that new app submissions are now required to be built against their latest iOS version — iOS 8. So, we’re working on doing that. Building against iOS 8 has caused some problems which we’re tracking down. We’re hoping to have them sorted out soon.

Eventide could bring out the new Windows and Mac versions of H9 Control with the new firmware/algo while waiting for a iOS 8 app solution…wink

CyrilW

Let me know if you guys need help. I work for a great mobile development company outside of Chicago. We are doing a lot of iOS 8 updates for our clients right now. As an H9 Max owner, I want these overdrive / distortion algorithms as soon as possible. 

sorry to bug but any idea when this will come out?  is it just apple holding up the release? a lot of users are waiting anxiously i’m sure.  thanks!

gkellum
      Participant

sorry to bug but any idea when this will come out?  is it just apple holding up the release? a lot of users are waiting anxiously i'm sure.  thanks!

We submitted the new version of H9 Control to Apple last Friday, and it's still waiting to be reviewed.  Normally, it takes them about a week.  So, they're being a bit slow this time around.  We also really want to get this out.  

thanks for the update! i imagine you guys would want to showcase tne new algo at Summer NAMM.

DaveDaveDave

Awesome GK – I’m glad I asked, and really appreciative of Eventide’s candidness – you guys Rock!

GuyWithEventide
      Participant

Looks like it has been released 🙂

Styrioci

yes 🙂

2 things:

– output of crushstation doesn’t seem to match output of other FXs available in H9 max, I have to boost output with “output level” control in crushstation up to 9db to match other FXs

– maybe it’s just my unit, but I experienced weird behavior while testing crushstation – something like light clip with crack noise when I touched strings, occured only on attack of the played note – I had to switch back and forth to other algo and back to crushstation. disappeared for now when I rebooted H9.

so far I like, not familiar with different distortion types, still strugling with getting EQ to sound “right” or anywhere near to what I’m used to from amps higain sounds (selectable mid freq is powerfull, I’m trying to find sweet spot), but sustain, sag, octaves and grit controls are really cool featores. initially, I wasn’t a fan of an idea – Eventide making distortion algo for H9, but you really did great job again!

gkellum
      Participant

Here's the full length video we put together showing off the new CrushStation algorithm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYTaBJDDGk

Bodde
      Participant

Very Nice demo! I like what I hear with the octaves. Can’t wait to try it out this week! Thanks Eventide.

Bodde
      Participant

I have updated the H9 software to 5.2.0. But I don’t see the Crushstation in the H9 control. Where is it? I use a Mac with OSX 10.6.8

Bodde
      Participant

I have a Max by the way and don’t see the Crushstation in the H9 list.

gkellum
      Participant

I have updated the H9 software to 5.2.0. But I don't see the Crushstation in the H9 control. Where is it? I use a Mac with OSX 10.6.8

Well, you need to install the latest version of H9 Control. You can find the Mac and Windows build at https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads and the iOS build in Apple’s AppStore. After you install the latest version of H9 Control, you may also need to restore your purchases to add the algorithm to your account; you can find that function by clicking on the Settings button in the bottom right hand corner of H9 Control.

Adamixoye
      Participant

2 things:

– output of crushstation doesn’t seem to match output of other FXs available in H9 max, I have to boost output with “output level” control in crushstation up to 9db to match other FXs

– maybe it’s just my unit, but I experienced weird behavior while testing crushstation – something like light clip with crack noise when I touched strings, occured only on attack of the played note – I had to switch back and forth to other algo and back to crushstation. disappeared for now when I rebooted H9.

I experienced these same two issues.  Any advice?  The “attack” issue did seem to be related to the pre-sustain.

Is there a good description of the controls somewhere?

Bodde
      Participant

ok thanks for the quick reply. Have it now! Forgot to reinstall the H9 Control. Only did the software update. Been playing with it for 45 minutes now. Will do some more testing on full volume tomorrow (it’s night here so I don’t want to wake up my neighbours). I like what I hear so far.

Some first impressions:

1) the gate is pretty heavy. Is there a way to set the amount of gate?

2) really like the octave options. Would be nice to be able to have the octaves soloed too (without your normal signal I mean)

3) I like the bluesy sounds with less drive the best so far.

4) would be nice to have a simple delay build inside the algo so you won’t need an extra pedal.

Maybe I am asking too much. Don’t want to sound ungrateful and I am already happy with the Crushstation!!

incubelieve

Hey guys, just a fool question.
      I updated H9 and the app control. The new algo ais there, but to be purchased. Is it correct?
      Thanks!

Per
      Participant

Wow, looks nice! Stereo, pre-post, etc. Time for new sounds❤️❤️

tzvip
      Participant

Sounds really organic on both my guitar and bass.

The sag thing is very cool and the response of the sag is as good as on my Redwitch Fuzzgod pedal.

And so many features- EQ, 2 types of dirt, octave up/down, pre/post compression… Impressive.

Well done Eventide.

GuyWithEventide
      Participant

Thanks Eventide, the new CrushStation sounds awesome!

There is a lot of range in the controls, and a lot of sound possibilities.   Presets are good too; I was able to use most as a starting point and tweak to taste.

Very nice addition to the H9.

scruffypup

Great work!

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

2 things:

– output of crushstation doesn't seem to match output of other FXs available in H9 max, I have to boost output with "output level" control in crushstation up to 9db to match other FXs

– maybe it's just my unit, but I experienced weird behavior while testing crushstation – something like light clip with crack noise when I touched strings, occured only on attack of the played note – I had to switch back and forth to other algo and back to crushstation. disappeared for now when I rebooted H9.

– Re: boosting.  Stating the obvious, but bare with me…..Most distortion pedals have separate gain and volume knobs to deal with the varying types of input.  E.G. A Les Paul into a dirt boxt is going to sit on the distortion transfer curve differently than a telecaster, etc.  So you'll get different distortion levels and gains depending on the input with the same settings.  With Digital Distortion we can some degree correct for this, this why we can get away with not having a wild range on the Output Gain to accound for low levels of Drive.  We try to account for a range of inputs, but in the end it's still a Distortion, so some degree of adjusting the Output Gain seems normal.  You could also try adjusting the input Gain and trying different levels of Sustain (Pre or Post).   

-Re: the light clip.  Did it have anything to do with the Sustainer? Large values of  Pre or Post Sustain will create that "pop" or "spank" effect similar to an Orange Crush compressor or MXR type Compression.  Of course the compression/sustain characteristics are also input signal dependent, so you'll need to tune to taste.   

Styrioci

– Re: boosting.  Stating the obvious, but bare with me…..Most distortion pedals have separate gain and volume knobs to deal with the varying types of input.  E.G. A Les Paul into a dirt boxt is going to sit on the distortion transfer curve differently than a telecaster, etc.  So you’ll get different distortion levels and gains depending on the input with the same settings.  With Digital Distortion we can some degree correct for this, this why we can get away with not having a wild range on the Output Gain to accound for low levels of Drive.  We try to account for a range of inputs, but in the end it’s still a Distortion, so some degree of adjusting the Output Gain seems normal.  You could also try adjusting the input Gain and trying different levels of Sustain (Pre or Post).   

-Re: the light clip.  Did it have anything to do with the Sustainer? Large values of  Pre or Post Sustain will create that “pop” or “spank” effect similar to an Orange Crush compressor or MXR type Compression.  Of course the compression/sustain characteristics are also input signal dependent, so you’ll need to tune to taste. 

ah ok, thanks for clarification..I’m more TS+Amp’s distortion guy, than using diferrent distortion pedals guy. I just expexted I wouldn’t need to boost output that high with mix at 100%, because I didn’t needed to do that with other effects, but 20db of boost is plenty enough to match levels correctly.

clipping seems to be related to sustain controls, sorry if I caused some panic in your dev team 🙂

Bodde
      Participant

I have been playing and tweaking the crushstation for some hours. I think it is a really versatile overdrive/distortion. Didn’t like the stock presets so much at first but it started coming alive for me when I started making my own sounds. I have tried to model the sound of my Brunetti Mercury box (which is a drive predal that I really like) and I think I came close.

In general I like low to medium drive sounds, not so much the heavy distortion sounds. Also I think it sound really cool for bass guitar. With the blend/mix and the grit you can still keep the lows of your normal sound intact.

About the output level ‘problems’ some of you experience: I think it has to do with the settings of the sustainer. When set in the middle (0%, so no sustainer/compressor) you have to boost the output level. But when you dial the sustainer to the left or right the volume increases very much. So your total volume totally depends on the settings you have made with the sustainer.

I am still not quite what sounds the best for sustainer: pre or post. Or what the exact difference is soundwise. Any tips on that?

kenhan
      Participant

Just a question. I see that Crush Station is available for purchase. Didn’t Eventide give away new algorithms with firmware update for a while, and only later charge for them? Maybe I’m wrong. I’m just wondering if policies have changed. Thanks.

st.bede
      Participant

Yes! I only did a fast run through (1/2 hour, through headphones) but so far I am pretty excited. I like to try and suspend judgment until i have really put a pedal through  a number of different situations/contexts but I had some very hip things happening with my initial assay.

JES
      Participant

For the bass players–what settings are you using? Excited to try it tomorrow.

JES
      Participant

Ps–since there’s no documentation yet, could we get some sense of where the treble and bass controls are boosting and cutting? Thanks. Will be helpful for dialing a bass tone.

Adamixoye
      Participant

Just a question. I see that Crush Station is available for purchase. Didn’t Eventide give away new algorithms with firmware update for a while, and only later charge for them? Maybe I’m wrong. I’m just wondering if policies have changed. Thanks.

I’m not sure what the policies used to be, but it’s currently a matter of whether or not you have a Max.  Max = you get everything new for free.  Standard or Core = you must purchase.

jnorris
      Participant

I saw someone post something somewhere about how awful Crushstation was, comparing it to a tube amp. Eventide is obviously not trying to model or emulate a particular sound. I think its pretty darn cool for what it is. I got a couple of really cool presets out of it. Two thumbs up guys! The pre/post and volume/expression pedal options are a massive bonus. All H9 needs to be THE all in one solution is a system setting for a cab sim. You could literally play a gig with just one H9, but it would be great with 5. 🙂

GMGM1974
      Participant

My first impression is that most of the sounds are pretty useless (for me). Many of them just sound like “broken” fuzz pedals. But I think that is to be expected, diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks, right?

With ath said, the more bluesy, tube screamer ish patch sounds pretty great IMHO. The octave options are pretty cool too. 

Overall, it’s a great addition to the H9.

cliveluis
      Participant

Any CLUE on whats next?

happy and excited H9 owner here

Given To Fly
        Participant
        cliveluis wrote:

Any CLUE on whats next?

happy and excited H9 owner here

This is not a bad idea. It is “Speculation Season” and the Forum Moderators have proven to be more clever than your average breed. I have no doubt they could come up with a good clue. However, the drawback to games like this is people’s expectations rise too high. If the the new algorithm is not “free H8000FW’s for everyone!” people will be upset. Then again, some people will be upset regardless of what Eventide releases so might as well have some fun with it.

Adamixoye
        Participant
        Given To Fly wrote:
        Then again, some people will be upset regardless of what Eventide releases so might as well have some fun with it.

The only thing that will make me truly upset is if it’s not adequately different from an existing algorithm.  If it’s just a twist on something we already have, I’ll feel cheated.

Viewing 62 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.