Upgrading to 4.01 gave Eclipse a headache

Home Forums Products Rackmount Upgrading to 4.01 gave Eclipse a headache

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      John01W

Upgraded my Eclipse finally to 4.01.  All went well for a bit(until I changed some settings, possible bug maybe?)…now I get the internal memory checksum error after every bootup.  I used the card upgrade method to upgrade, following the exact instructions.  It installed, it said it was fine and I cleared setup.

So I did these as suggested by you guys and I still have the problem:

Restarted holding 8, restarted holding setup…put in a new battery(old one tested at 3.08 volts) and I still get the error:(

I even reinstalled the OS, twice and I still got the problem. This is sad, my Eclipse has never left the studio and is still like new.  I’m the original owner and it’s been babied.  I never had problems on 3.51.

I just put in the new battery did the clear setups clear internal memory and it rebooted with out the message. If I do this, the problem comes back:

resetting the controllers to work with my ground control pro to turn off the effects a/b blocks.

Doing this and the message came back.

After a clear setup:

go to Setup/Externals/EXT1 set for Midi Single and set for CC#88  then,

go back and go to EXT2 set for Midi Single and set for CC#89

Then go to Setup/Midi…change midi channel from default OMNI to midi channel 2

Then go back to Setup/Externals/FXA Bypass set source for EXT1 and set “trig mode” to On/Off and “Sense” to Reversed

Go back and Set FXB Bypass set source to EXT2 and set “trigmode” to On/Of and “Sense” to Reversed….

Then the checksum comes back. 

What’s going on here:(

Thanks,

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Alas, it is not clear from here what the problem is. It might be helpful if you would give the exact text of the message you are seeing.

Otherwise, you probably have two options:

1) Re-install 3.51 and do a complete re-initialize (8 key at startup).

2) Send it in for service (support@eventide.com).

John01W
        nickrose wrote:

Alas, it is not clear from here what the problem is. It might be helpful if you would give the exact text of the message you are seeing.

Otherwise, you probably have two options:

1) Re-install 3.51 and do a complete re-initialize (8 key at startup).

2) Send it in for service (support@eventide.com).

Hi, the problem is after upgrading my Eclipse from 3.51 to 4.01(V4) I get internal memory checksum error message after the Eclipse initializes at startup.

I tried all the solutions I’ve seen suggested on the forums:

I changed the battery

I cleared setup(held setup key at startup)

I initialized at startup(held  8 key at startup)

And I still got the checksum error at startup….it boots fine until I did what I said so I was wondering if it’s a bug related to my settings or a problem worth sending it to you guys for. 

Does this cause an Eclipse to get internal memory checksum errors for you guys(bug?)

After a fresh install of V4 do this:

Go to Setup/Externals/EXT1 and Set for “Midi Single” then CC#88,

then go to Setup/Externals/EXT2 set for “Midi Single” and CC#89

Then go to Setup/MIDI switch the midi channel from OMNI(default) to midi channel 2

Then got back to EXT 1 and 2 and set the base midi channel to 0 instead of -1

Then go to Setup/Externals/FXA bypass and set for EXT1, trigger mode to On/OFF and Sense to “reversed”

Then go to Setup/Externals/FXB bypass and set for EXT2, trigger mode to On/OFF and Sense to “reversed”

It seems to boot ok before I do that….

THanks,

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As requested, please give the exact text of the message.

And, when you get this, will it no longer boot ? Usually you can hit OK (or something) and it will continue. Annoying, but …

John01W
        nickrose wrote:

As requested, please give the exact text of the message.

And, when you get this, will it no longer boot ? Usually you can hit OK (or something) and it will continue. Annoying, but …

It says:

“Internal memory checksum error Press any key to continue”

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm losing interest here. Please answer the second question.

It is very difficult to diagnose these problems remotely. If I have to ask every question several times, success is unlikely. You may want to consider sending the unit in for service – support@eventide.com

John01W

Dang, sorry man:(  Yes I can press OK after that and it will boot/continue.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

OK. So I'm tryin to duplicate your situation. Here's what I did.

install V3.51

boot with 8 key held down – no problem.

install V4.01

boot w/no 8. when asked "clear setup ?" select  cancel. no problem.

boot again with 8 – no problem.

Go to Setup/Externals/EXT1 and Set for "Midi Single" then CC#88,

then go to Setup/Externals/EXT2 set for "Midi Single" and CC#89

Then go to Setup/MIDI switch the midi channel from OMNI(default) to midi channel 2

Then got back to EXT 1 and 2 and set the base midi channel to 0 instead of -1

Then go to Setup/Externals/FXA bypass and set for EXT1, trigger mode to On/OFF and Sense to "reversed"

Then go to Setup/Externals/FXB bypass and set for EXT2, trigger mode to On/OFF and Sense to "reversed"

Load Program 100 and reboot. No problem.

So, I don't think this is a bug – more likely a hardware issue. There are some self tests you can run. You'll have to reboot with the 8 key afterwards.

1) Power cycle with 5 key held down. Release it immediately you see "Test All."

2) Type 1,0,6,ENT.  It should show "106 NV Ram".

3) Hit TAP. Let it run for a few minutes. You should see P=xx E=0 T=0.  If E or T are not 0, it is a fail.

4) Hit TAP again to stop. Turn wheel 1 click right to show "107 Entire NV Ram."

5) Hit TAP. Let it run for a few minutes. You should see P=xx E=0 T=0.  If E or T are not 0, it is a fail.

If either of these tests fail you have a definite hardware fault.

If they pass, get the unit back to a good state, and leave it powered down for a few days. If you then get an error when you power up, it is probably the battery or holder, but could also be power-down circuitry.

Try the above, and let me know ….

John01W

Wow, thanks Nick:)  WIll do exactly that.  BTW, I did the “FIX” in the utility section and the fault doesn’t come back….but I know according to the manual that’s a bandaid.  Will get back to you with results.

Thanks so much,

John

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        John01W wrote:

Wow, thanks Nick:)  WIll do exactly that.  BTW, I did the "FIX" in the utility section and the fault doesn't come back….but I know according to the manual that's a bandaid. 

The checksum is a symptom of some other problem – the FIX fixes the symptom, without fixing the underlying problem. But, it can just be bad luck or cosmic rays …

John01W

Test Results:

106NVRAM test:  P=135 E=0 T=0

107 EntireNVRAM test   P=102 E=0 T=0

After tests rebooted holding 8 key to clear internal memory it finished loaded 100 MUTE SERIES with NO checksum error

Rebooted again after letting it rest a few minutes to see if i’d get the checksum error and I got NO errors…booted to 100 MUTE SERIES.

Thanks

John01W

Ok, three days passed….turned it on and got NO checksum error message.  The new battery I installed even before my first post in this thread.  I even put in the settings above restarted and got NO checksum error.

So the test passed 3 days ago and followed your directions(already replaced battery)…..your 3 day wait before restarting gave no errors tonight even after putting in settings above.  Can I rest easy that everything is OK with the unit?

Thanks Nick,

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Can one ever rest easy, especially in uncertain times ? But, it sounds hopeful.

There is one remaining possibility – if there is a fault in the powerdown circuitry (unlikely) turning it on and off a lot may bring it on.

John01W

Thank you….one problem has arisen and I’m going to make a new thread about it, it may be in relation to my problem or a bug or my configuration….all I know is that when my checksum errors were happening the unit was switching right….Now it’s behavior is a little confusing.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

One thing to help explain – the checksum was only done in V4 and above, so the error may have always been there. We had a small batch of bad nvrams, so we put the check in there to find them. It's possible that yours was one of these.

chrisgvitar
      Participant

If this message comes up again, does one only need to do a reboot with the 8-key to clear the message? Or are all the instructions setting the various settings per your message necessary as well? Thank you so much!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.