Using AES/EBU via DB-25

Home Forums Products Rackmount Using AES/EBU via DB-25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gbwiig
      Participant

Hi – Happy New Year!

I'm having absolutely no success in using AES via the DB25 connector.

I had been successfully using the H8000FW with AES via XLR cables (to my digi 192 digital i/o).

To make full use of the 8 ins and outs (rather than 4) I have been trying to use a DIGI DB25-DB25 connector to link the H8000FW to the 192. 

It simply does not work:

The H8000 does not lock to the clock signal at all. No audio input signals show up at all.

I have tried using two different DB25-DB25 cables. I have tried using both the 1-8 and 9-16 connectors on the Digi 192.

I have set the DIN 1-2, 11-12 inputs to AES. I have tried clocking to all the AES pairs (11-12, 13-14 etc).

Am I missing something obvious? Could there be a technical fault? I think I've ruled out cable failure or a fault with the Digi 192. The only thing I haven't tried is feeding word clock directly from the UA 2192 – although I'm not sure this would explain the absence of any audio signals.

Any help / suggestions would be very welcome!

Best wishes

Gareth

Setup: AES8, 8 Track A,B

System: H8000FW, Mac G5 PPC, Digi 192 digital interface clocked from UA 2192 (also a lynx aurora 16), Pro Tool HD3

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

And Happy New Year to you as well…

You are entirely correct – doing what you are doing will not work.  The H8000's DB25 connector is wired the same as the Digi, so if you just connect one to the other you are connecting input to input and output to output with the predictable (non) results.

Essentially to do what you want, you will need a "crossover" cable which is not usually available. In this case, I usually recommend buying two "Digi-snake" type cables, which are DB25 to 8 XLR, 4 male, 4 female. Then you can connect the male XLRs of one cable to the female XLRs of the other (and vice-versa) and everything will work.

The downside of this approach is that it is not cheap, but the flexibility it offers offsets this to some extent.

gbwiig
      Participant

Ah! Makes sense. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.