Using H9 as a volume pedal?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using H9 as a volume pedal?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Bodde
      Participant

Is there a way to use the H9 as a volume pedal with an expression pedal with one of the algos? Tried everything but couldn’t do it.

Also one more question while we are discussing expression pedals. I have the H9 for a long time but only today tried the Whammy with the Pitch Flex algo. The sound on itself is good. But the transition in pitch is not smooth but very stepwise. Is there a way to improve that or is it the best it can do? On my Axe fx I do the same and there the transition is smooth.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Is there a way to use the H9 as a volume pedal with an expression pedal with one of the algos?

Page 14 of the H9 Manual explains how to do this. You may assign your expression pedal to control volume pre or post effect and it can be programmed globally or on a preset basis. I recommend using this on a preset basis so the expression pedal can be used for traditional expression mappings on other presets; once the EXP input is designated for input or output swell it cannot be used for parameter control.

today tried the Whammy with the Pitch Flex algo. The sound on itself is good. But the transition in pitch is not smooth but very stepwise. Is there a way to improve that or is it the best it can do?

Do you have H9 Control paired to the H9 while you’re using the expression pedal with the PitchFlex algorithm? If so, unpair the H9 from the mobile device. Then, try using the expression pedal without having the H9 paired.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Make sure you have the latest software – improvements were made to this recently.

Bodde
      Participant

Make sure you have the latest software – improvements were made to this recently.

What exactly are the improvements in the latest software? Thanks

Bodde
      Participant

Do you have H9 Control paired to the H9 while you’re using the expression pedal with the PitchFlex algorithm? If so, unpair the H9 from the mobile device. Then, try using the expression pedal without having the H9 paired.

As for the volume pedal: just checked it out. That’s exactly what I needed!! It works great but there is one thing that I noticed not sure if it is a bug. I use it for volume swell on delays so I selected input (per preset). When I have my expression pedal in heel/off position I can still hear a slight sound. It is very soft but it is there when you listen closely. I have tested with two different expression pedals that are both calibrated. Also detached H9 control. Can you check for me if this is a bug?

As for the Pitch Flex/Whammy: I also tested it without H9 control. But the stepping motion is still there. It is not as smooth as a real Whammy pedal or the Whammy in my Axe fx (using the same expression pedal). I have read the same complaint about the stepping motion in the Pitch Flex algo by others. Is there a way to improve this in a firmware update?

Thanks for your great help!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

With regards to the PitchFlex, does the pitch-shifting sound smooth when you press the FLEX button on H9 Control? That’s how it’s supposed to sound with your expression pedal.

Which expression pedal are you using?

Bodde
      Participant

With regards to the PitchFlex, does the pitch-shifting sound smooth when you press the FLEX button on H9 Control? That’s how it’s supposed to sound with your expression pedal. Which expression pedal are you using?

I have tested it again today with an EV-5 and Maudio expression pedal. Both give exactly the same results. Also tried different algos. With the volume delay swell at first you hear any leaking sound coming through in heel position when but when you rock the pedal a few times and go back to heel position and keep it there and pick some new notes you hear the repeats of the newly played notes softly coming through. Can someone test this for me?

As for the Whammy. With the flex knob it seems to be a little smoother than with the expression pedal. It is not that you hear major stepping but there is some slight stepping which makes it less smooth than the real Whammy or Axe fx whammy.

I use firmware 3.7.4 so the second latest. Did anything change in fw 4 with regards to these issues? I prefer the old style look and workflow of the H9 control. So if it is not really necessary and nothing changed with above things I don’t want to go to fw4.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

“What exactly are the improvements in the latest software? Thanks”

Mainly faster response to EXP and AUX. This reduces the delay which causes the “zippering.”

apalazzolo
      Participant

I too have decided to forego the latest software update because I prefer the older look and feel of the gui.

I never liked the response of the level control option described by Joe Cozzi.  Maybe it’s better now (as mentioned by Nick Rose), I just don’t know.

What I do know is that the “trim” control on the EQCompressor algorithm provides excellent volume control. In part this is because the range can be set like most parameters.  It also provides a boost if you want it (the other method doesn’t).

You can also implement a straight up volume pedal using MIDI to control the OUTPUT fader.  This too allows the range to be set and for a boost.

Ultratap can also be used as a straight up volume pedal.  IIRC you set the “chop” control to “expression pedal”,  set the “mix” to “100” and turn the delay off except set “taps” to “1”.   Since that is an input volume control and the taps comes after it, you could also turn the delay on  (this would allow control of the input of the delay) … you’ll prolly want to adjust the “mix” to taste too.

You said you were controlling a delay but, I’m not sure how you have things set up.  In case it is relevant I’ll also note that PitchFuzz can be set up so that an expression pedal can control the amount of delay from zero to a lot (as you move the treadle) while your dry signal remains constant.  I use this to selectively add some delay to a note or two here and there.  I loosely call that spillover delay since turning the treadle to off allows the repeats to continue (but it’s not quite accurate).  Here is a preset for that:

H9 SPILLOVER DELAY

Set the low end of the “pitch amount” range to 0.9 or 1.0 if you want zero delay with the treadle off.  Set the  low end of the “pitch amount” range to 1.1 or 1.2 if you want a little delay with the treadle off.   Naturally, adjust the delay to taste.

Good luck!

Bodde
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions apalazollo. The Ultratap is quite cool. But I am just looking for simple delay volume swells with the EXP pedal so the input swell is perfect for that. Except that there is this leaking sound which is fairly annoying because you want it dead quiet in heel position. It does that on all delay algos.

“What exactly are the improvements in the latest software? Thanks” Mainly faster response to EXP and AUX. This reduces the delay which causes the “zippering.”

Thanks Nick. I am bit confused though. Does the faster response and less zippering with EXP and AUX only apply when you have H9 control connected or is there also improvement when H9 is not connected (compared fw 3.7.4. with fx4)?

Bodde
      Participant

I made an unlisted video that clearly shows the volume swell issue. I just picked some open strings because I had to hold the camera with one hand. Sorry for the socks! haha…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnF42gflOQM

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

“Does the faster response and less zippering with EXP and AUX only apply when you have H9 control connected or is there also improvement when H9 is not connected (compared fw 3.7.4. with fx4)”

Controlling H9 from H9control is bound to be slower, as you have time lags in both the computer and the communications. The improvements will be more noticeable when driving H9 directly.

camn
      Participant

The zippering- I dug into this at length a couple years ago…..

Pitchflex alg is glitchy

I found that if I didnt connect via bluetooth, it smoothed out. I haven’t checked it out in quite a few update iterations, but you could try it.

Bodde
      Participant

I found that if I didnt connect via bluetooth, it smoothed out. I haven’t checked it out in quite a few update iterations, but you could try it.

Thanks. It doesn’t matter if i connect with the H9 control or not. It is the same. I especially notice it in the beginning from heel to toe. It seems to jump from from 0 to 1 pitch (first 1/2 tone) and after that it goes smoother. It is not a big deal though.

What bothers me more is the volume swell leaking showed in above video. Can anybody please check it with their expression pedal please? I want to know if it is a bug with the input/output volume thing or if the fault is on my side. I have tested with two expression pedals, only H9 and guitar, no other pedals in between. With or without H9 attached doesn’t make a difference. Thanks.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Can anybody please check it with their expression pedal please? I want to know if it is a bug with the input/output volume thing or if the fault is on my side. I have tested with two expression pedals, only H9 and guitar, no other pedals in between. With or without H9 attached doesn’t make a difference.

I have tested this and found that there is some signal still preset even when the H9 displays a value of zero on the display for the expression range. I have made our team aware. Thank you for your patience, as our team returns to post-holiday operation.

Bodde
        Participant

Can anybody please check it with their expression pedal please? I want to know if it is a bug with the input/output volume thing or if the fault is on my side. I have tested with two expression pedals, only H9 and guitar, no other pedals in between. With or without H9 attached doesn’t make a difference.

I have tested this and found that there is some signal still preset even when the H9 displays a value of zero on the display for the expression range. I have made our team aware. Thank you for your patience, as our team returns to post-holiday operation.

Thanks! I am glad it isn’t my mistake. I found out that even without the expression pedal and using the hotknob as an expression device that it still is leaking. Although it is leaking a bit less with the hotknob, but it is still there. I think from memory that it is also leaking a bit when using the expression pedal for output volume, but I am not sure. Hoping  for a solution. Thanks for having a look!

Bodde
        Participant

Any news on this Joe?

apalazzolo
      Participant

Hey Bodde,

Based on your video, I assume that you are running your H9 in a parallel loop.  Is that correct?

If you can’t get a solution for your problem, you can try the Ultratap preset setting I described above.  It should work fine in a parallel loop (mix set to 100; chop set to exp ped; and delay set to taste).  I know this is, at most, second best for you but at least Ultratap will work the way you want.

Also note that, I suspect that the PitchFuzz preset shown above won’t work in a parallel loop since I suspect it will pass the dry signal all the time.

Good luck.

Bodde
      Participant

So no news on the volume leaking bug? Hope this gets fixed. Thanks.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.