Using MIDI CC to mute/unmute more than 2 algorithms on H9000R

Home Forums Products Rackmount Using MIDI CC to mute/unmute more than 2 algorithms on H9000R

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      J20056
      Participant

This is for a guitar rig. I am sort of giving up on having the ability to use PC to load different sessions. for the H9000R, as it’s clearly not a priority. What I am really trying to achieve is turn on and off certain algorithms.

With 16 algos available, I can have all the ones I need loaded in one session. I use a Switchblade to combine the 8 analog In/Out and control volume and order of the algos (series/parallel) outside the H9000R.

I see that I can assign the Mute/Unmute button of each algo via. CC midi message, but my pedalboard can only send 2 CC messages for each preset. So I am wondering how I could send as many as 16 CC’s so that given preset can turn on or off any algo in the overall chain? I cannot think of an obvious way, but withiut PC ability, I am sort of unsure if there is any solution at all.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      J20056 wrote:
      This is for a guitar rig. I am sort of giving up on having the ability to use PC to load different sessions. for the H9000R, as it’s clearly not a priority.

The H9000/R is first and foremost a studio effects platform, so it’s MIDI capabilities work differently than other processors. The best way to make it work in a guitar rig is using its “Scenes” feature. Every Session that is loaded has 128 scenes you may access live using program changes. Pages 45-48 of the user manual explain how to use them.

J20056 wrote:
      I see that I can assign the Mute/Unmute button of each algo via. CC midi message, but my pedalboard can only send 2 CC messages for each preset.

The limitation of your MIDI controller to only send two CC messages is not going to make it possible to have the control you need. I recommend RJM, GigRig, Musicomlab, or Morningstar products to get you easily programmable CC messaging architecture.

J20056 wrote:
      So I am wondering how I could send as many as 16 CC’s so that given preset can turn on or off any algo in the overall chain?

If getting a new MIDI controller is not an option, may I suggest using the “Scenes” capabilities mentioned earlier. You can program Scenes for each instance or chains of FX, bypassed, activated, or muted, and recall them with one button. Storing is easy with the Scenes capture options available. In other words, you do not need to program presets for every instance. You can let the machine take a snapshot and store it into a scene. Manual explains it simply.

J20056
      Participant

Thanks.

@joecozzi: I am using a H9000R as mentioned in the title. There is no possibility to use Scenes with the R unit, only the H9000 via front panel, as Emote currently has no concept of Scenes. I have been waiting for this for 18 months now, so I am patient (and let’s face it, I am Eventide for life no matter what), and I was hoping it would be this Christmas, but I guess 2020 is a s**t year from all angles :(.

This is why I was investigating Midi CC to Mute/Unmute algos as part of a big session that would have all my algos loaded. This would make switching faster as I obviously have no way (yet) of knowing how fast loading a scene takes when switching presets live from a pedalboard via PC/Scenes. I know guys like John Petrucci use the AxeFX only for FX, and he has one large algo with all FX and he turns some pedals ON/Off without having to reload the whole algo.

So I’d be open to a similar approach (which only needs CC, not PC) , although ideally, I’d use Scenes via Emote/Midi and hopefully it’s super fast to load.

I guess I’ll keep waiting, I remember someone mentioning that Emote Scenes would be in the 1.4 beta, so if it is, then by all means, make me e beta tester…

J20056
      Participant

I use a Behringer FCB1010 pedalboard, but it can only send 2 MIDI CC per preset.

However, I found an affordable software called “Bome MIDI Translator” that lets me add any number of MIDI CC or Notes to a given PC message. So I think I can map one MIDI CC to each of my 16 algorithms for a given PC message from my pedalboard. It’s not going to work without a PC running the software in the MIDI loop, but it’s acceptable for studio usage for the moment, until hopefully Emote can handle Scenes switching via MIDI PC and the latter is hopefully very is fast. 

John Baylies
      Participant

The FCB1010 is an incredibly flexible pedal. I've owned one for years. There's definitely a way to do what you want natively without a translator. I'd recommend really digging into the FCB1010 manual. The expression pedals can send different MIDI CC #s depending on which footpedal was last pressed.

Could you email me at jbaylies@eventide.com so I can make you a beta tester when emote's scenes is ready?

J20056
      Participant

Thanks @jbaylies

The FCB1010 can only send to CC# per preset, so with up yo 16 algos that needs to be Muted/Unmuted, that doesn’t work.

But I got the Bome Translator to work, so essentially I can send any combination of CC#’s form a single PC# from the FCB1010, so I’m actually OK now, but obviously a bit tedious.

So yah, Emote Scenes would be welcome!

I’m PM you for 1.4 beta.

John Baylies
      Participant

ah, I see what you mean. Glad you got the translator to work.

Afturmath
      Participant
      J20056 wrote:

But I got the Bome Translator to work, so essentially I can send any combination of CC#’s form a single PC# from the FCB1010, so I’m actually OK now, but obviously a bit tedious.

I’ve been following this thread and was going to recommend Bome but hesitated to reply until I tested this myself. Glad you got it working.

John Baylies wrote:

Could you email me at jbaylies@eventide.com so I can make you a beta tester when emote’s scenes is ready?

I am also interested in testing scenes via emote with the H9000R. Email sent. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.