Using the H8000FW as a sampler and a MIDI keyboard to trigger playback

Home Forums Products Rackmount Using the H8000FW as a sampler and a MIDI keyboard to trigger playback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

Is this possible? I’ve just lost my temper with a piece of sampling software. I want to sample a piece of audio, stretch the audio, reverse it, then trigger playback on a MIDI keyboard. Additionally, I am concerned about latency, as in the time I press a key on the keyboard and the time I hear the audio. Or, is it because there is an inherant latency on all MIDI gear?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You can do all this with the H8000, although I'm not so sure about the reversing. There is a Reverse Sampler preset, but I'm not familiar with it.

There is always a certain latency with MIDI. It certainly takes a millisecond to send a MIDI message, and then it takes a certain time to respond to it. I'm going to guess that most units (not just ours) would take maybe 30mS to respond. This is about a film frame.

If you really need minimal latency, you'll have to look for it – this is not something that is usually specified. My guess is that a hardware unit would be better than software in this respect.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.