V5.5 Beta NOW AVAILABLE for H8000FW !!!

Home Forums Products Rackmount V5.5 Beta NOW AVAILABLE for H8000FW !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Eventide is happy to announce the release of V5.5 Beta for the H8000FW. Please go to the H8000 page and read the Release Notes for more information and details of H8000/H8000A support.

Note that this is a BETA release which may have unknown issues and should only be installed by experienced users who are prepared to encounter mysterious events. Any bugs found can be reported to this forum.

Main Features: (see Release Notes)

Drivers for XP, Vista, Vista-64, Win7, Win7-64.

Drivers for Leopard, Snow Leopard

New Presets, including TimeFactor and ModFactor

Bug Fixes and improvements

t_tangent
      Participant

Thanks very much. Look forward to trying it out soon. Will let you know how I get on 🙂

Cheers

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Good news, indeed! Is there a list with just the new presets?

IDeangelis

Yes manual, presets manual, OS, FW drivers …and RELEASE NOTES!

best

I

zoomex
      Participant

Coolcool

What a Great fresh new sounds!!!

You all did a Wonderful job

Thanks.

jfcharles

That's good news!

unguitar
      Participant

Hello, I did the 5.5 update and it went very smooth.

After a few days of use I am finding the following issues:
      a) When powering up, from time to time ( it looks like there is no way to replicate it through a routine) the machine shows the message "new operating system found…". Please note that the card with which I set up the update is not in the pcmcia reader and that this behaviour at powering doesn't always happen.
      b) In my personal preset card I had a tweaked copy of the preset 2120 that, when loaded on 5.5 showed me the message "converting….. update it…". After I did it, the preset was screwed up by aliasing and problems in bit depth ( at least this is the way it sounds). So I loaded the original one from the internal memory of the h8000. The result was the same. Can you replicate this ?

Other than these things, which I am sure will be easily fixed, the addition of  Time and Mod Factor presets has brought some interesting new sounds indeed.

And, if I am allowed to ask: the fact that some programs need to be converted to the new OS at loading suggests me that you have been updating certain modules; may I know which ones ?

My best,
      Luca

IDeangelis

HI Luca

a) your unit internal battery should be replaced.

b) It's ok that a new OS requests updating an user preset to the latest software. Preset 2120 shows the same noise problem here too. We have fixed many of them…but this one was too smart! Thanks for the finding.

Conversion of presets to a newer OS doesn't imply the existence of new modules. This system has some new modules in it though, particularly because of the TF/MF presets. Details about the new modules will only be available with next Vsig Help release. Right now you could only download the unit database and check the new modules in Vsigfile programming area.

al the best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

When should we expect for the beta 5.5. to be finalized?

IDeangelis

The longer it stays in beta, the better!

This will make sure that bugs and other problems can be fixed if users send their feedback.

Weeks….

best

I

Jazz Thieves
      Participant

Hi,

I seem to have run into some problems with 5.5.

Setup : q6600/cubase5.11/win7 64bit.

I am using the unit as my audio interface. When I have a project loaded and play midi data I get loads of glitching, even on really high buffer settings. I am new to windows 7 so decided it could possibly be a firewire driver issue. I tried the legacy drivers but that didn't work. I then tried a different firewire card but still no joy. 

I looked at the latency checker on Dice and was getting intermittent spikes up to 18000us. 

I then did a fresh w7 64bit install on a separate partition and loaded Dice and nothing else….same problem.

I then removed the firewire card altogether and loaded Dice. I checked the latency checker and it reported huge intermittent spikes. They stopped after 30 seconds or so but then they started as soon as I did any basic operations (ie opening a folder on the desktop).

Any ideas ??

Many thanks,

Myles

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It sounds like your latency spikes could be the problem. It is not possible for me to know from where they come (PC issue, but often network-related), but you should experiment with the safe modes.

What happens if you don't play the MIDI data ?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I installed the 5.5 driver into my old desktop running Windows 7 (32-bit) and didn't upgrade the H8000FW yet. Just loaded the Dice app to check the latency and stuff like that and I was very surprised to see that it's ultra-fast. The Dice app reports something like 160 us if I remember correctly! (I have a firewire card with a Texas Instruments chip).Haven't used the H-8000FW as a soundcard in Cubase 5.1.1 because I need to re-activate the thing and I don't have internet access from my desktop (yet). But if it works like a charm with Cubase then … beam me up Scotty!

Jazz Thieves
      Participant

Hi Nick,

When not inputting midi things play back okay.

Could you do me a favour? If you run dice and watch the latency checker, does it go up really high if you open a folder or do any basic operations? 

I have disabled all network facilities.

Is there anything else that could cause intermittent latency spikes? I have tried using the onboard graphics card instead of my nvidea incase it was causing problems, but the same thing is happening.

I have also updated the bios on the motherboard.

Cheers

Myles

sean.e
      Participant

I'm loving 9118 MF Undulator.  I had forgotten about the 834 Ethereal Logic and 893 Undulator modfactory patches from the H3500 – 9118 brought back memories.  I copied 9118 into a user slot and made changes to one of the presets.  The change was saved. 

However, I don't seem to be able to make and save changes to more than one preset.  I set intensity in preset 46:1 to 99 (when my user copy loads, this is correct).  When I go to preset 46:2 then back to 46:1, intensity has gone from 99 to 60.  Is this expected?

IDeangelis

Hi Sean

I see what you are seeing…and I would expect what YOU would…too!

Let me find out.

The original Undulator replica has been available for quite a few years now, both on Orville and H-series. The pedal version was derived from it. Check preset # 6511 "893 Undulator"… 893 was the original preset number in the H_3xxx series….

all the best

I

sean.e
      Participant

Ugh – I used sort by Name and looked under 'U' for it…  thanks for the pointer.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Sean

regarding your previous post –

It is expected – we ran out of time to add the SAVE feature. Sorry – we meant to add a note to the PM, but, uh, forgot. Next release, if enough people are interested.

IDeangelis

I did the same as I remembered that preset was in the library. Unfortunately the name starts with numbers…..

best

I

unguitar
      Participant

So,

given that the 5.5 is a beta, I think it is important to send you possible things for you to consider.

This is a message that started to show up randonmly a few days after the installation of the new Os.: "Preset version is later than system version…."

My best,

Luca

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Luca:

I think it is important to send you possible things for you to consider

Please do -this is why we have betas.

But, I need to know which presets do this …

unguitar
      Participant

Sorry Nick, I have no memory about which preset was loaded when it happened, I am always moving through many of them and doing a lot of tweaking .

Tomorrow I will be in another session and I will keep track of what will happen now that I know you are interested in getting these infos.

My best,

Luca

Gripp

Thanks for the upgrade!

Things that I really enjoy with 5.5 Beta:

Timefactor and Modfactor presets. I missed those real bad when selling my Eclipse. You guys put something magic in there.

New FW driver seem to behave much better. Now I can set a 64 sample buffer at 44.1 kHz  sample rate for example. It seems to be more stable over all (running XP SP3). Let's not forget MIDI clock  over DICE MIDI.

Ok. Now for things that would be nice for the full 5.5.

MIDI clock over DICE MIDI only works going into FW H8000, I still can't make the FW H8000 the master clock.

I can't get FW audio channel 1 out from the FW H8000 working, all other channels work. I saw a post on the forum here earlier and I have this problem too and no solution with 5.5 beta.

As already noted in this thread, saving the Timefactor and Modfactor tweaks. 

All in all it feels so good to have this upgrade. Keep up the good work!

Best!/

Pelle G

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Gripp:

MIDI clock over DICE MIDI only works going into FW H8000, I still can't make the FW H8000 the master clock.

True. Not something anyone has asked for (AFAIK). I'll add it to the list.

Gripp:

I can't get FW audio channel 1 out from the FW H8000 working

A new one for me – can you give more info ?

Gripp

Hi Nick!

Re MIDI clock over DICE from H8000 FW:

Since I started to build my rig (H8000 FW as both soundcard+fx +racked PC for live looping) with tempo synced everything, I discovered the hard way that it's really true that the MIDI clock out from H8000 FW is among the most stable and maybe the best.

I wanted to use that stability, ideally without having to involve an external MIDI interface (doing that now). I've tried syncing the H8000 FW to various clock sources from inside my PC but haven't came up with a stable AND foot tappable solution.

Re not being able to use channel one on the FW out.

I double checked this just now to exclude a possible routing utility bug and no dice.

I get no signal into my PC when routing something to FW1 out block channel 1, other channels on block 1 out works fine. I've only used the routing utility to do the routing work but when double checked, the correct connection is indicated on the setup page on the machine as well. I've tried both Reaktor and Bídule as recipients for the channel 1+2 stereo pair. I'm using ASIO. I've also tried different channels from the main out block to the FW1 out block.

I don't think it's computer related either. Same thing on my old laptop w/ old DICE driver XP SP2 as on my new rack PC w/ new DICE driver XP SP3.

This is the thread I was talking about: http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/5730.aspx

See point 5 in the original post. Seems like the same problem.

Best!

/Pelle

IDeangelis

…and there's also a wonderful "Stereo Undulator" version, as #6521…..

cheers

I

unguitar
      Participant

Hi,

any follow up to 5.5 ?

thanks,

Luca

IDeangelis

It's in beta…. reports are welcome…..will be out when confident about it.

I

unguitar
      Participant

Is there a bug report page or list ?

IDeangelis

Simply use this forum.

thanks

I

unguitar
      Participant

Hi Nick,

adding the SAVE feature would bring 5.5 Beta to a more "normal" functionality.
      I would prefer not to go back to previous release and keep it on my machine but I'd need to know if you're planning to release a 5.51 B soon.

In case you're staying on 5.5 B for a long time I will revert to the previous working release.
      I don't own two H8000Fw, unfortunately…

My best,

Luca

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not quite sure what you mean by SAVE. If you are referring to the TF/MF algorithms, these will not be changed for this release.

unguitar
      Participant

Hi Nick,

the problem is that 5.5. Beta looks like it's been left as it is while it looks like with a few adjustments it could easily be a release that could allow a normal use.

The most annoying thing is the problem behind updating old presets to the new system.

Even if you do the update,  you randomly still get the "converting old preset:…" which is absolutely annoying when you are loading your presets via midi in a live playing scenario as it extends the time between the two algorithms being loaded.

I have changed the internal battery as Italo suggested but this and other issues in the same area are still happening.

I hope you can really have some time to come out with 5.51 Beta so that we can all enjoy the new presets.

Thanks for this,

Luca

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Luca

I don't see this problem, and no-one else has reported it. Could you perform the upgrade again, and if you still have the problem, tell us which presets do this.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.