Vocoder How To for Vocoder Noob

Home Forums Products Rackmount Vocoder How To for Vocoder Noob

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Priestunes
      Participant

Per the subject, I'm not yet rewarded with successes when trying to set-up/use a vocoder patch with the Eclipse. Here's what I've experienced:

1) with my guitar, I get a hovering tone that doesn't vary no matter what note I play. I'd like it to be in something other than B. It would work neatly if I could solo in B minor, but the band doesn't play anything in that key yet.

2) with a microphone, I was not able to trigger it. I've had a little success, as mentioned above. (Ran a mic line to input one, output both 1 & 2 to mixer, heard nothing vocoder-y.)

Obviously, I'm not stricken with disappointment and am just wanting to have some fun with this feature. The Eclipse rocks! Thanks for making it. Would love some gentle guidance with this issue.

P

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that a little bit of old-fashioned manual reading will illuminate:

"The left input (channel #1) or an internal noise source feeds carrier (instrument), while right input (channel #2) feeds the modulator (voice). The output is the sum of ten frequency bands from 20Hz to 20kHz, with 'level' and 'pan' for each band."

This means that you should connect your mic or guitar to channel #2, and then either use the noise source or some wideband signal on channel #1. Then you should get a result.

Priestunes
      Participant

I ran plumb out of whale oil! (And here I thought it might glibly go without saying that the manual was read.) Still, when read, I took it to mean the left input to be the carrier (instrument) i.e., me, the instrument, not to be the input TO the instrument, i.e., the thingy inside the Eclipse. But that's when lamplight sputtered out. And the fading text, "feeds the modulator," I thought it was feeding me, the modulator! The Space Modulator!!

Er…. something like that. Thanks!

Priestunes
      Participant

Sometime in my twenties, I owned an Ensoniq DP/4, and was able in my perspicacity of youth to route a guitar into an input, a microphone into another input, and use the microphone to create a kind of auto-wah controlled effect, and I think it was through a vocoder preset. In any event, I'm trying to recreate this effect with the superior Eclipse, but with no luck. In fact, I see my guitar signal (input 2) on the meter, but do not hear it, regardless of what routing scheme used. I'm using a Vocoder preset, and on FXB, it's set to "mute," which I just unmuted.

1) Is there a feature in the Eclipse similar to what I described in the DP/4? If so, can you tell me how to set it up?

2) What would keep me from hearing channel two? (When I see the input, have channel two's output routed to my board?)

Thanks!

P

Priestunes
      Participant

Well… I'm proud to say that I can still understand manuals. Once input set to stereo, all works splendidly, perfectly, well.

Thanks, Eventide, for letting me think out loud….

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Think as loud as you can, and hope you find more whale oil …

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.