VSIG on Mac via Windows emulation.. Whats the best way?

Home Forums Products Rackmount VSIG on Mac via Windows emulation.. Whats the best way?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      kevinkl7

Has anyone had success with this recently?? Im going to purchase windows vista and try to run it on my Imac27 currently running mountain lion. Im going to try and infall it via Bootcamp.. I heard someone mention VMware… any upsides to using that vs. bootcamp? 

razo

It is possible using Oracle VirtualBox and Windows XP.

kevinkl7

Is there any issues with vista or have you only tried it with XP?

razo

Have only tried with XP and probably works with Vista.

Siem
      Participant

The downside from Bootcamp is you can't do anything else on your Mac when you run it. Since Windows is running your Mac. With VmWare or something similar you run MacOSX with Windows as an application.

kevinkl7

I just installed VSIG using VMware running windows vista.. Vsig opens and receives the Dbase from h8000 but always crashes when i try to dump a program from the harmonizer.. error message comes up saying the program is no longer responding.. i tried lowering the sysex speed down to 2 and still same result.. Any ideas?

kevinkl7

Ok so i just got everything up and running properly finally.. il give a quick overview of the setup for future reference if anyones interested.. The issue was the midi connection. It seems midi drivers for hardware through VMware are currently not quick enough to handle a proper connection with the h8000, so the best bet is the Keyspan USA-19HS usb to serial adapter which is specifically meant for higher transfer speeds.. once its hooked up u need to download the correct drivers for windows and also open your usb device settings in vmware settings page and enable the usb adapter, then configure the comms page in vsig to match the h8000.. For my iMac the port was COM3 but you can use the serial adapter assistant which is part of the driver download package (u can find the assistant in the all programs section off the windows start area) to see which port is assigned to the USB adapter. Once Vsig is set to reflect this and the settings in the comms page match those on your h8000 you should be good to go.. If you have any midi cables connected to the midi out on the h8000, youl need to remove them (or maybe just disable midi) for your computer to be able to receive data properly from the h8000.. for some reason even if you use serial in the comms settings, it only sends info to the harmonizer via serial, and the harmonizer will try to send info back via midi if there is cables connected to the midi output.. 

razo

Can you have the usb adapter permanently connected without it being snatched by OSX?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.