VSigfile no longer working – Comms issue?

Home Forums Products Rackmount VSigfile no longer working – Comms issue?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      J20056
      Participant

I used to be able to edit presets in VSigfile although I havent done it in 2-3 years. I still have the same computer, although now running Win7 instead of WinXP, and I connect via MIDI and Serial Port (via USB to Serial adapter).

It seems broken for the moment, as nothing happens at all when I try to download the database or Get the current preset. I check that Serial Comm protocol is set as per instruction manual.

Is there an obvious test or series of test I can run to try to isolate the problem?

Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that your serial settings don't match those of the Hxxxx. Try re-initing the Harmonizer, then compare the settings against those you see in Vsig. Especially check the Sysex ID. Look at the BUSY light by the card slot to see if it is receiving anything at all.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I recently hooked my H8000-FW to my laptop, had to tweak the COMM settings and it worked. The thing is that I cannot download some presets in VSig. They do load in the H8000-FW properly but not in VSig. I get an error message and VSig hangs. It's version 2.4.9 btw and the OS of the H8000-FW is 5.6B2. What could be the cause of this? I think I downloaded the database from Eventide's site and not from the H8000-FW directly, could this be a problem? I will come back with the presets that misbehave.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

error message ? These are there for a reason – you need to tell us what it says.

Probably worth downloading the dbase from the unit.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Nick,

the error message I get is this:

"Assertion failed at line 1234 of file D:DataMSVCvsigfilemodule.c…" I cannot read past the letter "c".

I cannot load the database from the H8000-FW. It seems to read up to a point and then I get a message that my laptop is running low on memory. I don't think it's a memory issue, though.

Presets that load in the Harmonizer but cannot be download to VSig are (up till now): 854, 1011, 1211, 1415, 1416, 1422, 1423, 2313, 3050, 3051, 3052, 3054, 3212 and 4224.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance,
      Yannis

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Nick,

I think I have solved the problem. I managed to load the sigfile database from the H8000-FW to my laptop and all these presets can now be opened within VSig. I think what caused the memory overflow is that I had many algorithms open already, when I closed these and restarted VSig, everything worked just fine.

I do think however, that I have found a bug. When I use the numeric keypad to select an algorithm and then press the button instead of the "Ent" it tries to load the intended preset directly, but fails and stays at whatever preset was before. So, I need to type the number, hit and then hit .

Or is this intentional?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Yannis

Glad you are moving again.

Don't understandf your other issue

ThreeFingersOfLove:

When I use the numeric keypad to select an algorithm and then press the button instead of the "Ent" it tries to load the intended preset directly, but fails

What is "the button" ? In what way does it "fail" ?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Nick,

if you type a number, say 1234 in the numeric keypad and then hit it takes you to preset 1234. Then you hit the button to select it.

If, however, after typing the number of the preset you hit (without hitting ) it tries to load the patch, but it doesn't. It stay on whatever patch was selected before.

I found two presets that won't load in VSig. These are 6413 and 6414.. they contain some kind of MIDI activity methinks that interferes with the transfer. Can you check these?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – you are still not saying what you mean by "the button". What button ?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Haha… it seems that for some weird reason your website removes the "" because I typed the names of the buttons that I was referring to inside those symbols…. anyway, what I was saying is that when you type a number and then hit the "Ent" button it takes you to that particular preset, right? Then you press "Select" to select it and it works.

However, if you type the number of the preset and then press "Select" without first pressing the "Ent", it tries to load the preset but it doesn't. It stays at whatever preset was selected prior to typing the number. Try it. I am pretty sure it's a bug, unless I am missing something.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not quite true – if you hit SELECT, it always loads the currently highlighted preset. This applies if, as you describe, you are in the middle of entering a number.

For this reason, I would not call it a bug. More of an operational peculiarity.

J20056
      Participant

Nick, 

I use both MIDI and Serial as I control the H7600 via. MIDI pedalboard. As a result, the H7600 is in a MIDI chain that has 4 devices. Could this confuse VSigfile?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Probably not – your devices probably have different controller channels, but Vsig uses Sysex, so as long as the Sysex ID is set right (usually to 1), and it can see its way to the 7600 via whatever is in between (not a certainty, but beyond our control) it should be fine.

If you are in doubt, first connect the Vsig computer directly to the 7600. This should work. Then build up the chain one piece at a time, until it stops working.

J20056
      Participant

My question was whether Vsigfile needs MIDI at all if a serial connection is available?

J20056
      Participant

Nick,

I have made more progress but have outstanding issues as follows:

1. I installed a new driver for my USB-to-Serial adapter (Belkin) on COM3. This worked partially, as I was able to run the OUPDATE firmware to v5.51 via Serial connection.

2. However, VSigfile (v2.4.9 the latest) stubbornly refuses to do anything with the serial port.

3. I am able to "Send" a Vsigfile preset via MIDI connection, but I cannot "Get" a preset.

I would appreciate some guidance regarding #2 and #3. Ideally, I'd only use the Serial connection to do anything except my footboard controller via MIDI. However, I don't mind using MIDI and forget Serial as long as I can "Get" a given preset.

J20056
      Participant

Ok, more progress still and 99% there. Got it to work clean using a MacBook direct via USB to Serial, so this is all fine now except the following. I wanted to download preset 9115, which comes from ModFactor, in order to add a daly to it, but upon download attempt, I get an error saying that the preset cannot be downloaded in vsigfile format. Am I stuck and unable to edit the preset (rotation)?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – the TF/MF presets cannot be edited with Vsig.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.