Weird Flangin background noise

Home Forums Products Rackmount Weird Flangin background noise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jklarsen
      Participant

Hi all,

This might be a stupid newbie question so bear with me.

I have plugged the Eclipse 4.01 in my fx loops on my gtr amp.

When the fx loop is activated i get this flangin noise which is quite annoying and the guitar sound

begins to sound like it is playing through a tin can.

I have set eclipse Wet/Dry to 100 as this should only play the wet signal.

The flangin noise is also present when the unit is bypassed….

and also no matter what preset is loaded.

Anyone has any tips/tricks?

Best…Jan

IDeangelis

Hi Jan

several details are important here:

-how did you connect the Eclipse to the FX Loop? Type of sockets and cables.

-is the fx loop a +4 dB line level or -10/-20dB instrument level type?

-is the fx loop parallel or serial?

-which preset is giving you the problem? You must specify name and number.

-is there anything else connected to this amp, other than your guitar and Eclipse?

thank you

I

jklarsen
      Participant

Hi and sorry for the lack of details.

-how did you connect the Eclipse to the FX Loop? Type of sockets and cables.
      Jack plugs in/out of the amp and into in/out jacks on the eclipse

-is the fx loop a +4 dB line level or -10/-20dB instrument level type?
      It can be set to both, but is set to -10db because otherwise it is too loud

-is the fx loop parallel or serial?
      Parallel

-which preset is giving you the problem? You must specify name and number.
      Actually all the presets i have tried gives me the problem, it also happens when the unit is bypassed…..
      But not when the fx loop is de-activated on the amp.

-is there anything else connected to this amp, other than your guitar and Eclipse?
      It is straight forward, gtr into amp, amps fx loop into exclipse. I have used the same setup
      for years, but i have only noticed the flangin noise after updating to 4.01.
      The flangin noise dissapears when the dry/wet is set to 0.

I hope the clarifies it a bit.

Best…Jan

IDeangelis

Hi Jan

thanks for the detals

I'm not sure if this is the case but what you call "weird flanging background noise" may be simply a phase canceling artifact deriving from two instances of the same signal being present at the same time. Particularly the dry sound! In a parallel FX loop the dry sound is always present, thus it should be removed from the fx processor signal, setting it on 100% wet under LEVELS. When BYPASS is engaged, Eclipse can pass dry sound, giving the same problem again, so you should change how it works under SETUP > MODES > BYPASS = Mute All.

We would need a specific factory presets name and number from you to try to replicate the problem here.

thanks

Italo

jklarsen
      Participant

Hello again,

I tried the bypass – Mute all, and no phasing sound.

I then turn the fx loop all the way to wet = all eclipse and still phasing.

I then set wet/dry to 0, no phasing, and then to 100, no sound……

I turned the fx loop back to 50% so equal mix between guitar and Eclipse,

loaded 100 – Mute program, then loaded 118 – Loop 10, set wet/dry to 100,

and then no phasing……..totally weird….

So it is working just fine now……i must admit i havent got a clue to what went wrong,

it has been working fine for years…….

Anyway it is working just fine now, so i hope i was just the full moon or something similar….

Thanks.

Best….Jan

IDeangelis

Jan

one thing that may not be clear to most users is this:

-if Eclipse system dry/wet balance (under LEVELS) is set to 100% FULL WET, dry sound can be still passed thru and hearable IF the used preset FXA MIX or FXB MIX (if the presets uses two algorithms) is not set to 100% wet. In other words full wet is true only if system AND presets dry/wet mixes are set to 100% wet.

With a parallel fx loop this may happen very easily as the analog dry signal and any digital dry signal copy may overlap causing phase canceling issues.

all the best

I

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.