Home Forums Products Rackmount We’ll get this fixed in a future update

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Jago_Marris
      Participant

How many of us have heard this now?

zengomi
      Participant

Of course we’ve all read those words many times.

A great thing about the future is that it’s never now. 😉

Jago_Marris
      Participant

At one release a year. The future will remain a great distance.

joeydego
      Participant

Guys………Eventide is a small but dedicated company struggling to stay alive through this supply chain shortage that has shut the doors on other comparable businesses. I have met many of their staff and they dont deserve this. I understand the frustration, I too own an H9000 as well as other products but maybe cutting them a little slack here is in order.

zengomi
      Participant

My comment about the future isn’t meant to criticize Eventide. It’s just an observation about time and well-meant (albeit secret) plans.

H9000 probably has one of the smallest user bases. Nevertheless, given the scale of the investment and the unit’s potential for improvement, we are not out of line expressing our hopes and frustrations from time to time.

An H9000 purchase can be regarded as a vote of confidence in and support for one the industry’s storied innovators. We have no reason to think Eventide will any time soon cease to turn its energies our way when possible.

BIG LOVE for the E folks

joeydego
        Participant

My comment about the future isn’t meant to criticize Eventide. It’s just an observation about time and well-meant (albeit secret) plans. H9000 probably has one of the smallest user bases. Nevertheless, given the scale of the investment and the unit’s potential for improvement, we are not out of line expressing our hopes and frustrations from time to time. An H9000 purchase can be regarded as a vote of confidence in and support for one the industry’s storied innovators. We have no reason to think Eventide will any time soon cease to turn its energies our way when possible. BIG LOVE for the E folks

this is fair enough. I think or wonder how many cross Fractal Audio users also use eventide? I like to think FAS as the gold standard of support. New firmware drops for their flagship processor monthly at minimum. Then features trickle down from there.
        however FAS has basically 3 relevant products all sharing the same architecture. Eventide sells and must support plugins, pedals and the H9000 all in many different platforms. I like to think the 2 companies are around the same size but I may be wrong.
        I think most of us H9000 users would like algorithms to START on the H9000 and trickle down the product line. It would make sense. The H90 is a new product and maybe at 899 they needed to offer something unique to attract more demand. Who knows. I do know they said specifically they’re working on getting us those algorithms so I’m not concerned. There are so many ways to bend sound with this box to want more is just for the sake of wanting more.

bsfreq
      Participant

For me, the promised features mentioned here on the forums played a big role when making the decision whether to buy the H9000 or not. With the promised feature set the unit would make a perfect fit for my studio+live setup. However for now, I’m still waiting for many of the features mentioned years ago. I thought they might be added within a year, maybe two. It’s been over 3 years and none of those major features have been added.

I would feel very differently if nothing was said of the upcoming features and I just bought the H9000 for what it is / was. It’s an amazing unit already.

However, features were promised, and on the other hand I wanted to support Eventide in their endeavors of upgrading the unit’s feature set, so I went ahead and bought the single most expensive thing I’ve ever purchased! (I’m not working in a large studio. I’m just a guy that saved for a long time and paid more for an effects unit than what I’ve payed for a car) I paid premium, this was sold as premium, and I think for this price it’s not too much to expect premium support too, and at the very least have the promised features delivered in a timely fashion. It really seems that Eventide pushed this beast out, and then quickly focused on other things instead of delivering the promised features and new algorithms.

I’ve been patiently waiting for the updates, and I’ve been asking about any progress about once a year, not to keep bugging too much. Now I feel that maybe I haven’t kept bugging enough. I understand that Eventide is a relatively small company but at the same time, it was Eventide that sold this unit (and it’s upcoming features) to us.

The comment ”we are still working on H9000 development among other projects.” worries me a little. To me it really sounds like priority has been shifted elsewhere. Hopefully this is not the case.

I’m still eagerly waiting for:

-running of 2 algos per core when in 44,1/ 48kHz. Yes, that’s 32 algorithms running simultaneously! As said, that’s possible with the current hardware already and only needs a firmware update for H9000 to support this.

-More flexible routing and level adjustable sends inside the H9000, the ability to route between different dsp’s and fx chains.

-96kHz support for more algos

-New algos developed purely for the H9000.

zengomi
      Participant

At least the time for this thread has arrived.

alexone
      Participant

96kHz support for more algos

This is the biggest disappointment. My projects are all in 96k and because of that, I have to tinker with what is supposed to be the most high end effect of the universe.

zengomi
      Participant

With you on that. Wish it would have top priority.

Puppeteer
      Participant

Guys………Eventide is a small but dedicated company struggling to stay alive through this supply chain shortage that has shut the doors on other comparable businesses. I have met many of their staff and they dont deserve this. I understand the frustration, I too own an H9000 as well as other products but maybe cutting them a little slack here is in order.

While I’m not overly critical of the delivery schedule of Eventide, and understand a small team and the constraints inherent in it, supply chain issues doesn’t really fly for firmware updates, in fact quite the opposite. If waiting for stuff to be delivered is holding up production of hardware and new products, that’s a good opportunity to work on updating firmware for existing products already delivered to customers.

Seeing that the H90 has just dropped, I can understand that resources have been focussed on that. It looks like a good product that should be popular, so hopefully that will keep the doors open for a while and it seems as if the development of that will support us H9000 users, and now that it’s out, hopefully some people can be swung over to the H9000. Yeah it would be good if we got all the goodies first (talking about the new H90 algorithms), but honestly, none of us have come close to tapping the potential of the H9000 as it stands now.

The user base doesn’t seem to share their creations all that much here. I know that on the Kurzweil side, while Kurzweil did release the occasional extra patches and updates, the vast majority of sounds, and most of the gold was user content, and even now there are still new patches been released for the K2000 by users, and the same with H8000 users (a few in particular built some amazing stuff, which I wish we could port to the H9000). Heck we have VSIG for the H9000, so we can get under the hood and build our own effects algorithms, and even if we aren’t good at getting our hands dirty at that level, you can always share chains and presets.

Frankly, I’m glad the H9000 is still under development. Hopefully Eventide never stop developing it. Yes there are still a few rough edges, but Eventide have indicated that they will be addressing them, and have been pretty open about being resource constrained. Would I like to see stuff fixed sooner? – Yup. Am I willing to wait a bit for those changes if it means that development will be ongoing? – absolutely.

zengomi
      Participant

Beautifully put, Puppeteer

plikestechno
      Participant

I just want everything at 96k. Everyone works at 96k now. The computers are fast and good enough now to mix hundreds of tracks at 96k.

96k across the board is all I want. The rest I can deal with. Although combining the power of processors would be nice as well.

I know the H9000 was always a thrown together product with some hardware and software limitations due to the change in hardware technology and that it was rushed out because everyone was demanding one. Things obviously didn’t port over as smoothly as they thought they would from the H8000.

It’s frustrating when the new algos from the stompboxes and software are always at max 48k. When they are even included. There must be a reason for that. There must be a reason that they can’t be ported to 96k like some of the older ones that are still lingering. So just say it’ll never happen instead of just kicking the can down the road. And if it’s possible, that should be priority number one IMHO for the next update.

I get that it’s hard to keep working on a product that doesn’t sell a lot and it’s already been a big time and money suck. Especially when the pedals and repackaging current technology into new pedals and software is quicker and more profitable.

But the H9000 still doesnt feel like a flagship processor for the 2020s, it still seems like 16 H9s in a box with some helpful routing software. The H8000 was amazing on release then became iconic in its production time, with groundbreaking updates and tasks and algos that only the H8000 could do.

The H9000 isn’t even close. Perhaps it is a different time and the H9000 isn’t selling enough or is profitable enough for Eventide to bother. It would be nice to have some of these long standing requests taken care of but I know they have to keep units moving, people paid and the doors open as well.

But if certain walls have been hit and some things won’t ever be achievable, then come out and say it.

joeydego
      Participant

The H9000 was certainly not thrown together. It was nearly 10 years in development before it came to market, quoted from an eventide video.
      as for working at 96, sure it should do it but a lot of folks (including me) are just fine working at 48k too.

plikestechno
      Participant

It’s not even close to finished.

But neither was the H8000 upon release. But the H8000 received a lot more care and attention and upgrades, probably because it sold a lot better so that justified the man hours for improving it.

We’ll see what goes. I just don’t have a lot of faith in them working further on the H9000 when I see so many announcements of other products from them. It’s obviously towards the bottom of the list when the H8000 used to always be near the top. Again, probably driven by sales.

alexone
      Participant

(…) as for working at 96, sure it should do it but a lot of folks (including me) are just fine working at 48k too.

Since all the projects I’m working on are in 96k, it’s a problem: I bought this effect so I wouldn’t have to compromise nor juggle sample rates.

Jago_Marris
      Participant

I fail to see what supply chain issues have to do with software development.

At the least they could dropped a few small incremental bug fixes here and there this year to show some kind of activity on the flagship product.

joeydego
      Participant

I fail to see what supply chain issues have to do with software development. At the least they could dropped a few small incremental bug fixes here and there this year to show some kind of activity on the flagship product.

who knows? I’m not going to assume Eventide’s operational needs during all the unprecedented market conditions over the last 2 years. Maybe personnel needed to be redeployed to other projects? The H9000 seemed like it was always the fat. During normal operations you can throw a guy on it, but when the belt tightens they need manpower developing what will bring in the most revenue.
      I’m not even saying that’s what it is. I can be dead wrong, but I can understand that. Short of an eventide employee coming on here and telling us there will be no further development for the 9000, I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt.

alexone
      Participant

I think the problem of Eventide is exactly what you describe. But as customers, we also have the right to be upset about being left out. It’s about finalizing the product so that it works as it should: without bugs that require regular workarounds.

Personally, I’m waiting for some small things:
      – that everything works at 96k (otherwise 96k is absolutely useless).
      – that the save function is not a joke anymore
      – an audio interface mode (with a simple buffer)

If they start transfert algorithms from plugins (SplitEQ, Physion) or new algorithms, that would be wonderful!! And we could say Thank you Eventide!!

Jago_Marris
      Participant

“– that the save function is not a joke anymore”

This is a prime example of a quick fix that could be deployed between upgrades.

Throw us a bone please Eventide.

joeydego
      Participant

Y’all are all raising valid points and I agree all this stuff needs to be addressed. Don’t get me wrong. I’m also certain that appropriate members of the company are well aware of this thread and I wouldn’t be shocked if wheels are already turning. I’d bet money on it.

Jago_Marris
        Participant

Y’all are all raising valid points and I agree all this stuff needs to be addressed. Don’t get me wrong. I’m also certain that appropriate members of the company are well aware of this thread and I wouldn’t be shocked if wheels are already turning. I’d bet money on it.

Let’s see what 2023 brings.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.