what to do with MIDI bank select message????

Home Forums Products Rackmount what to do with MIDI bank select message????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      erikbojerik

OK, first-time owner of an Eclipse here. And a TC Electronics G-system that I'm hoping will function as a very simple MIDI foot controller….all I want to do is use it to send MIDI PC messages to the Eclipse to select among its user presets.

Problem is…apparently the G-system sends out a bank select message (#1) ahead of the program change message. So, no matter which MIDI map I use on the Eclipse, when I tell the G-system to send out PC #1, I get #101 on the Eclipse when I want #001.

Send out PC#10 on the G – I get #110 on the Eclipse when I want #010. Etc

Any suggestions? Is there any way on the Eclipse I can filter out the bank select message coming from the G?

IDeangelis

Hi Erik

Eclipse can't filter MIDI messages. That's a controller job. Weird the TC can't be programmed to not send Bank Messages….

I

erikbojerik

Admittedly, TCE did not really design it as a MIDI foot controller along the lines of the Rocktron All-Access, and although you can assign any PC number to any user preset, I don't think it is possible to program it to drop the bank select message. Probably a simple firmware mod would do it.

I think my only workaround is to tweek and save the G's first 50 factory presets (even though I have to keep the factory patch name…ugh) which are PC#1-50, and use "only" the first 50 user presets on the Eclipse, which correspond in PC#.

I would (and may yet) get an All Access, but the stomp switches are so weenie….not like the nice big buttons on the G, which accept my size-13 stomp with ease.

erikbojerik

OK….I think I found a 3rd-party solution.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

This "event processor" can basically be used to chop off the bank select message (CC#0) between the G-system and the Eclipse….among other things that may end up being pretty useful.

IDeangelis

Erik

between the G and the AllAccess there are so many other pedalboards to choose.

Check the forums for more discussions about this.

best

I

erikbojerik

True….but none of them have the nice big huge stomp buttons that my size-13s are soooo happy with!

erikbojerik

OK, I am waiting for the event processor to arrive.

In the meantime, I've learned this from TCE customer support:

The G-System has a MIDI mapping out. So for each user preset you can output a simple MIDI program change (without bank ref). In the MIDI menu, set MIDI PRG CHG to "ON MAP", then for each user preset, specify what program change you want to send out. You will be able to recall any of your Eventide user preset.

Silly me…I had MIDI-out set to "ON" instead of "ON MAP" and indeed, with the output mapping turned on it does send out only program change messages without the bank select. But also I noticed that with "ON MAP" there are no MIDI messages sent out from the factory presets at all….which shouldn't be a problem for me since I'm just using them as points of departure from which I build my own patches.

So, in summary:

MIDI-out "ON": bank select + program change sent on all presets
      MIDI-out "ON MAP": program change (only) sent on user presets (only)

But I still need the event processor if I want to use the G-system to access any of the Eclipse patches on the memory card.

IDeangelis

Erik

Eclipse has 3 internal MIDI maps. Each one is fully user_programmable. Presets on a card start from #500. You can assign any MIDI program change to any preset; so, for instance, MIDI Pr.Change #1 could recall preset #500 from the card.

I don't understand why you say:

"But I still need the event processor if I want to use the G-system to access any of the Eclipse patches on the memory card."

I

erikbojerik

The G-system alone is a very simple MIDI foot controller – with it's MIDI-out map switched on, for any given footswitch, you can program only a single PC message for a single MIDI channel (or omni). That's it – no multiple PC or CC messages, no messages on more than one MIDI channel (apart from Omni), no programmable bank select, no note-on note-off, etc etc. Only a single program change.

So without the MIDI Solutions Event Processor, there would be no way to access patches outside of the MIDI maps using specific bank select messages; say to send a CC#0=5 (bank select 5) to access the patches on the Eclipse's memory card if you're using MIDI maps 1 or 2.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.