Your Omnipressor Loves You…
Introduced in the early 1970s, the Omnipressor was the first dynamics effects processor of any kind. Originally invented by Eventide’s founder, Richard Factor (and later redesigned for production by John Paul), the Omnipresssor made a host of effects possible. It featured variable control of all aspects of dynamic modification. It also introduced the notion of the ‘side chain’ and foretold techniques that today we take for granted like ‘look ahead’ processing.
…And Wants To Be Your Friend!
The Omnipressor plug-in is a faithful emulation of the “dark meter” unit and is popular among some of the world’s leading producers and engineers as a dynamics-modifier with variable expressive controls of all aspects of a signal’s dynamics. The Function control allows you to set compression and expansion ratios over a wide, continuous range from extreme expansion to infinite compression and beyond. Dynamic reversal, which reverses a sound’s envelope, allows you to make loud sounds quiet and quiet sounds loud.
One of our first customers was a young Brian May, lead guitarist of Queen. With the Omnipressor in his rig, his sound was never the same again.
- Dynamics Processing — capable of creating otherworldly sounds
- Dynamic Reversal — the first of its kind, soft signals come out loud and loud signals come out quiet, simulating tape reversal, a near unique attribute of this versatile compressor
- Function Control — sets a ratio over a continuous range allowing extreme expansion, to infinite compression, and is even able to push further into dynamic reversal
- Variable Control of attack and release time
- Variable Control of maximum gain and maximum attenuation
- Side Chain allows the level detect of the Omnipressor to be driven by another audio source
- Gating — amplitudes of signals that fall below a set threshold are ‘squooshed’
- Expansion — widen a signal’s dynamic range, louder gets louder, softer gets softer
- Compression offers variable control of compression ratio
- Infinite Compression — if you want everything to come out at the same level, this is the feature for you
- Limiting — a fast, versatile limiter, useful for maintaining a loud sound
- Intuitive Interface — clean and easy to operate
- Dozens of presets to help you explore and learn the unique workings of the Omnipressor
Richard Factor Says Its Richard Nixon’s Fault…
Interested in more Omnipressor history? Check out our Flashback blog.