How long to boot an H9000R into recovery mode?

Home Forums Products Rackmount How long to boot an H9000R into recovery mode?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts
    • #115397
      rfeinberg
      Participant

      Got a new H9000R this weekend.    Boot it up normally, connect to Emote just fine, but having problems with audio signals (constant feedback coming from the units analog outputs).    Want to boot it into recovery mode to do a “factory reset”, as described in the H9000R manual addendum.   Put a paper clip into the hole on the top left front of the unit and press the power button…..nothing happens after more than 15 minutes.   The power light comes on….the network indicator blinks endlessly.    I’m never able to get the network indicator to go solid, or to connect to Emote in recovery mode.  

      How long am I supposed to leave the paper clip in the hole?    Once the paper clip is in the hole….is there some button I’m supposed to press in there?  I cannot feel any depression of an internal button???    How long should it take to boot up into recovery mode.  It boots just fine into default mode, and connects to Emote just fine (except I have this crazy feedback spewing out of the unit).    That happens in about 2 minutes.    Recovery mode…..hasn’t connected in over 15 minutes.

      So if this won’t work…how do I reset this unit?   This was my fear about getting the R version…..no interface = potentially no control!

       

    • #152209
      jfirlik
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff

      The paper clip button is 'squishy' (as long as you are firmly pressing into the hole it should be activated) and only needs to be held down for a moment after the power is turned on.  I'm not sure what could be happening with the recovery mode, but it might be helpful to try a direct ethernet connection into your computer and see if it comes up in Emote.  We'll look into this issue further.

      Regarding your initial problem of feedback, what does your physical and virtual (Emote) routing look like?  Booting up with just the Network key held will do a 'soft reset' that should clear any routings made internally, this may help narrow down the problem.  (It will also clear network settings, so you'll need to use the Access Point or use an ethernet connection)

      • #152210
        rfeinberg
        Participant

        Well on my unit, I don’t feel anything “squishy”, or any form of button in there.   I’ve tried it several times, with a paper clip, and a pin….in any event, it just doesn’t “feel” like I’m doing anything when I insert something into ther reset hole.   I push in firmly, but get no tactic feedback.       Regardless….it appears that I AM causing the unit to boot into a different mode….because when I’ve done this, the unit won’t fully boot up and connect to Emote.   If I restart the unit…then within 2 minutes it does boot up and connect to Emote.    I already am using a hard wire ethernet connection to my Mac Pro.   So, as to why I cannot boot into Recovery Mode and connect is indeed concerning.    

        As to the “feedback” issue….I’ve resolved it!    I had to create a new Session, and build my routings from scratch.     I THINK (not 100% sure) that the “default session” had 4 Oscillators running, wired to the analog outputs!    That seems a poor choice for the default session…no?    Even still, I wasn’t getting a “sine tone” at 0db….my meters were dimed!   So something, beyond just routing, was going on.   But creating a fresh new session, and making basic routings to the analog outputs resolved THAT issue.   The unit is now functional, and spectacular!   So I’m happy.   But just from a new purchaser point of view….this end user experience was not good out of the box!    NOTHING was working as described in the manuals for the first 24 hours.     

         

         

        jfirlik wrote:

        The paper clip button is ‘squishy’ (as long as you are firmly pressing into the hole it should be activated) and only needs to be held down for a moment after the power is turned on.  I’m not sure what could be happening with the recovery mode, but it might be helpful to try a direct ethernet connection into your computer and see if it comes up in Emote.  We’ll look into this issue further.

        Regarding your initial problem of feedback, what does your physical and virtual (Emote) routing look like?  Booting up with just the Network key held will do a ‘soft reset’ that should clear any routings made internally, this may help narrow down the problem.  (It will also clear network settings, so you’ll need to use the Access Point or use an ethernet connection)

        Show More...
        Show Less...
      • #152211
        jbamberg
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        rfeinberg wrote:

        As to the "feedback" issue….I've resolved it!    I had to create a new Session, and build my routings from scratch.     I THINK (not 100% sure) that the "default session" had 4 Oscillators running, wired to the analog outputs!    That seems a poor choice for the default session…no?

        It looks like our QC procedure for the H9000R didn't include resetting the default session, and we shipped your unit with the QC test session still loaded.  Apologies for this.  We are making sure that the QC procedure involves clearing the state before we send these out in future.

         

      • #152212
        rfeinberg
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

        rfeinberg wrote:

        As to the “feedback” issue….I’ve resolved it!    I had to create a new Session, and build my routings from scratch.     I THINK (not 100% sure) that the “default session” had 4 Oscillators running, wired to the analog outputs!    That seems a poor choice for the default session…no?

        It looks like our QC procedure for the H9000R didn’t include resetting the default session, and we shipped your unit with the QC test session still loaded.  Apologies for this.  We are making sure that the QC procedure involves clearing the state before we send these out in future.

         

        Show More...

         

        Well that at least makes some sense.   Thanks for the explanation.  Here’s to hoping I never need to boot into recovery mode!    But at this point…everything is good!  Thank you again!

        Show Less...
      • #152214
        jfirlik
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        rfeinberg wrote:

        Regardless….it appears that I AM causing the unit to boot into a different mode….because when I've done this, the unit won't fully boot up and connect to Emote.   If I restart the unit…then within 2 minutes it does boot up and connect to Emote.    I already am using a hard wire ethernet connection to my Mac Pro.   So, as to why I cannot boot into Recovery Mode and connect is indeed concerning.

        Indeed I think the recovery boot is being activated. I suspect the issue may be network-related, since the recovery partition actually downloads the system either from the internet or from a USB stick (this allows us to 'update the updater' in a failsafe way).  You may need to enable internet sharing on your Mac for the H9000 to see this.  If that fails, you can try making a USB installer through these instructions:

        https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/usb-installer-h9000

        With the USB installer plugged in, doing the pinhole key boot should allow you to boot into recovery mode with no internet connection.

      • #152216
        rfeinberg
        Participant
        jfirlik wrote:

         

        Indeed I think the recovery boot is being activated. I suspect the issue may be network-related, since the recovery partition actually downloads the system either from the internet or from a USB stick (this allows us to ‘update the updater’ in a failsafe way).  You may need to enable internet sharing on your Mac for the H9000 to see this.  If that fails, you can try making a USB installer through these instructions:

        https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/usb-installer-h9000

        With the USB installer plugged in, doing the pinhole key boot should allow you to boot into recovery mode with no internet connection.

         

        Great info….thank you!

        Show More...
        Show Less...
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.