H90 questions

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 questions

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      coirbidh_99
      Participant

Very intrigued by the new H90 – congrats to the team! A couple of questions based on the currently-available info:

-Is the Looper algorithm in the H90 stereo or mono? The launch team on the livestream said “stereo,” but the online manual says “mono.”

-Will the Reverse and Octave switch options on the Looper, which are available on the TimeFactor and H9, be mappable on the H90 as well? Someone on another forum replied that you could just HotSwitch the Speed control, but that’s not the same as having independent switching of the Reverse and Octave functions, as per the DL4 and other loopers with that feature set.

-Is Hold available as performance parameter on the delay algorithms? Again, that’s a different function from just HotSwitching the Feedback to 100%.

tabrabant
      Participant

Hello to all (this is my first post on this forum)!

My question is whether the H90 does all the sounds included in the Pitchfactor? The Pitchfactor  is great but I never could really get used to its interface (which I feel is not user friendly).  The point of my question is that: if the H90 includes all the functions/sounds of the Pitchfactor , then I could have all the bells and whistles of the  Pitchfactor in the user-friendly format offered by the H90.

Thanks!

Alexander

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, the H90 includes all the algorithms from the Pitchfactor with improved pitch tracking and added features to certain algorithms.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Tim answered a couple of my questions over on TGP, so:

-Yes, the Looper is stereo.

-Reverse and Octave were “overlooked” but will be restored in an update. (Awesome!)

And reading the performance controls section of the manual suggests that the Hold Delay function is available – it’s simply not listed as a performance parameter in the Delay section of the manual, which is where I logically expected to find it. There seem to be a few places, at least, where the manual does not accord with the reported capabilities of the device; the team might want to look at that after they’ve slept for a few days.

Congrats, y’all! This looks like a major step forward. Can’t wait to play with one!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The delay algorithms do have a momentary or latching hold/repeat function but they are not currently listed in the algorithm descriptions. I’ll add these to the documentation.

tabrabant
      Participant

Thank you.  is there a particular power supply recommendation? My board is powered by a CIOKS 7 which provides:

7 DC isolated outlets
      9V 660mA, 12V 500mA, 15V 400mA or 18V 330mA on each outlet.

Thanks

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

You’re welcome. The 12V 500mA outlet will be enough to power the H90.

brock
      Participant

The Looper is what you always wanted in the TimeFactor / H9 versions, but wouldn’t fit.  I’ll just say this:  two Loopers in parallel, with another stereo looper inserted between them.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Ha! I was describing precisely that setup in another forum just this morning. And if the external looper generates MIDI clock, you can sync up the H90’s Loopers as well….

Glad to see you again, brock! Looking forward to inspirational patches from you for the H90!

apalazzolo
        Participant

I second that!

Brock has already blown our minds with an H9.

Eventide is now blowing our minds with the H90.

Just imagine what Brock will do with an H90!

I can’t wait!

eastern
        Participant

Agreed. Brock’s work on H9 presets is very inspiring. Looking forward to see what Brock can do with the H90.

brock
      Participant

I second that! Brock has already blown our minds with an H9. Eventide is now blowing our minds with the H90. Just imagine what Brock will do with an H90! I can’t wait!

First off, I have to say that the shipping Factory presets are very, very, VERY good.  Best batch(es) I’ve seen, and there are a LOT of them to sort through.  And speaking of sorting, the excellent keyword / algo / list / bank sorting is something I don’t see mentioned.  Don’t think I’ve made it through all of those programs / presets yet.

My own H90 pre-grams (so far, it seems) are in a constant state of refinement.  A couple Lists-full getting smoothed out.  Byproduct of rethinking my approach and embracing that ‘power of three’ concept in the H90.  Little P, A, B symbiotic triangles of sound design & interconnected control.  But, damn, there’s some cool s*** to be had in this box.  Crazy good, and I’m still learning better ways to knit things together.

What I dread (and wildly appreciate) is loading all of my previous H9 presets into the H90.  1000s, but as fodder for further tweaking, using the superior hardware & algo refinements.  There has to be some incompatibilities between machines (extra H90 parameters ignored / unused), but that’s something I need to explore.

At times, I might sound ET fanboi-ish, but I’m truly a real fan of sound, and depth of power.  Same reason a Poly Beebo sits next to 3 H9’s (dry, two H9s in parallel, one in series, mini-mixer, under MIDI control).  And I still couldn’t pull off some of the stuff I’m doing with the H90, ITB.

All that chatter about it being “2 H9s strung together” is missing the whole concept.  It’s one thing to grasp it from the specs and manual.  Good background, but nothing like the hands-on.  Once you wrap your head around them, the process(es) flow.  I find it a logical layout, and not all that difficult to navigate.  Sure, it takes a few run-throughs, like anything with any depth, and, yes, I still forget a procedure or two at times.

I could probably write a dissertation here on the new algorithms (and H9 algo improvements), but I’ll just mention this:  The 1st studio I ever worked in had a ClockWorks Instant Phaser on the rack.  I loved that thing, and have been chasing that particular sound ever since.  To my ears (and memory recall), that exact sound lives inside the H90.

Pedal format, tabletop, Euro …I’m starting to feel like the H90 is a rack-in-a-box.  A BIG rack.

dongothard
      Participant

So received my H90 today and have a couple of questions…

1. I have an expression pedal in EXP1 its working fine. I tried to get a switch setup in EXP2 and tried a few different switches, 1 button, 3 button, couple different brands, TRS cable etc. and couldn’t seem to get it to function . I switched from the default Exp pedal to Switch in the app. Is there a recommended switch to use with the H90.

2. How do you choose an Algorithm and have it start with an Init Preset. It seems I have to start with an existing preset with any algorithm and edit to my liking..

I am very impressed so far and works great, just takes a few minutes to understand things. Great job !!!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Glad you are enjoying your H90!

Can you try calibrating your aux switch using the pedal UI? This is different than just selecting the aux switch from H90 Control. To do this, go to System > I/O > Exp & Aux and turn Quick Knob 3 to calibrate the aux pedal. If you are still having issues, please be more specific about what aux switches you are using.

There is no “Init Preset” for a starting point, you’ll have to choose a Factory Preset and edit it as you have been doing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

dongothard
        Participant

Looks like the Calibration did the trick on the external switch.

Thanks !!!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Good to hear!

nene
      Participant

I second that! Brock has already blown our minds with an H9. Eventide is now blowing our minds with the H90. Just imagine what Brock will do with an H90! I can’t wait!

First off, I have to say that the shipping Factory presets are very, very, VERY good. Best batch(es) I’ve seen, and there are a LOT of them to sort through. And speaking of sorting, the excellent keyword / algo / list / bank sorting is something I don’t see mentioned. Don’t think I’ve made it through all of those programs / presets yet. My own H90 pre-grams (so far, it seems) are in a constant state of refinement. A couple Lists-full getting smoothed out. Byproduct of rethinking my approach and embracing that ‘power of three’ concept in the H90. Little P, A, B symbiotic triangles of sound design & interconnected control. But, damn, there’s some cool s*** to be had in this box. Crazy good, and I’m still learning better ways to knit things together. What I dread (and wildly appreciate) is loading all of my previous H9 presets into the H90. 1000s, but as fodder for further tweaking, using the superior hardware & algo refinements. There has to be some incompatibilities between machines (extra H90 parameters ignored / unused), but that’s something I need to explore. At times, I might sound ET fanboi-ish, but I’m truly a real fan of sound, and depth of power. Same reason a Poly Beebo sits next to 3 H9’s (dry, two H9s in parallel, one in series, mini-mixer, under MIDI control). And I still couldn’t pull off some of the stuff I’m doing with the H90, ITB. All that chatter about it being “2 H9s strung together” is missing the whole concept. It’s one thing to grasp it from the specs and manual. Good background, but nothing like the hands-on. Once you wrap your head around them, the process(es) flow. I find it a logical layout, and not all that difficult to navigate. Sure, it takes a few run-throughs, like anything with any depth, and, yes, I still forget a procedure or two at times. I could probably write a dissertation here on the new algorithms (and H9 algo improvements), but I’ll just mention this: The 1st studio I ever worked in had a ClockWorks Instant Phaser on the rack. I loved that thing, and have been chasing that particular sound ever since. To my ears (and memory recall), that exact sound lives inside the H90. Pedal format, tabletop, Euro …I’m starting to feel like the H90 is a rack-in-a-box. A BIG rack.

im very interested to hear more from your view, especially on how H90 would be an improvement over multiple H9. I bought into your previous thread of running multiple H9 (3 xH9 max out) and is struggling if I should go with the H90

DaGuy
      Participant

Hello, just got my H90.  Very cool despite my limited knowledge.

1. Can a program have the same effect on both A and B?

2. Can a CTL  be configured for channel switching an amp?

Thanks!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

The EXP/CTL jacks are inputs to control parameters on the H90. They cannot be used for channel switching an amp.

DaGuy
        Participant

Thank you! Appreciate it

cestlamort
      Participant

Congratulations on what looks to be an amazing update/evolution of the H9.

As a current owner of a Max and 2 Cores on a couple pedalboards, and considering how to upgrade, I wanted to clarify/confirm whether the H90 offers the same “access to all algorithms for other registered pedals” for H9 core/standard pedals like the H9 Max does.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

The H90 comes with all 62 algorithms currently being offered. There is no sharing algorithms between multiple H90’s since that is not necessary.

Owning an H90 does not give you access to additional algorithms on an H9 core or standard unit, they are different products.

cestlamort
        Participant

Thanks for the clarification that the H90 is a new product rather than an extension of the H9 line.

brock
      Participant

Ha! I was describing precisely that setup in another forum just this morning. And if the external looper generates MIDI clock, you can sync up the H90’s Loopers as well…. Glad to see you again, brock! Looking forward to inspirational patches from you for the H90!

I’m just getting caught up on that explosive thread … serendipity.  I really like your choices for that ‘insert looper’.  So far, I’ve tried Beebo’s Loopler, the Tensor, the original Infinity. and some micro-loop tactics.  It’s very easy to get lost in the possibilities.

I immediately jumped into some Riley-esque / Steve Reich phase music experiments:  Looper – insert dual delay, with time-phasing via external control.  And there’s still the B slot to process the results, any way you like.

I saw your mention of the EHX 8 Step.  Myself, I always run an EV-5 passthough to Depth, and assign that as EXP 1.  So, regular expression available to everything, and sequencing is a footswitch click away.  The Step 1 slider is all the way up, so a Reset / Loop Stop gives full range to the EV-5 (with Toe down).  Better yet, you can ‘trim’ the range of any control sequences with the expression pedal.

Interesting thing about the compatible 8 Step Depth base setting.  With the H9s, a value of 5 was recommended.  Sometimes that would ‘drift’ – I don’t know why – and a value of 6 or 7 was needed for a full control range.  The H90’s pedal calibration must be much improved.  You can set the 8 Step Depth anywhere from 1 to 9, and it will calibrate accurately to that.  I’m thinking that can be used to customize & fine-tune your pedal sweep.

As for what parameters to target, the sky is the limit.  I like to modulate parameters that can’t be modulated any other way, especially time.  But there’s also tactics like creating your own unique waveform with the 8 Step, and targeting a Manual control with it.  The Even-Vide algorithm has spared me from creating that lopsided LFO for a ‘vibe.  True glissando pitch shifts make for a nice accent, but I’m seeing where I can do that within the H90 itself.

I don’t feel like I’m going to ‘master’ everything in this box anytime soon.  Every time I get in front of the H90, I find some new way to get where I originally intended to go with it.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Thanks! My rig feels much more manageable with the H90 then it did when I was running the Space and another looper. Everything fits on the board, for one thing. 🤣

As far as the 8 Step goes, the current dilemma is whether I’m dedicating it to the H90, or running it into the MC8 and using it to generate MIDI CC that can be sent to a number of different devices. As the number of devices I’m using shrinks, the former becomes a more attractive option. Running a pedal through it is definitely on the agenda – I’ve got a Moog set aside for exactly that purpose. Does the H90 play nicely with TRS expression pedals, in your experience? Previous Eventide products have wanted TS pedals, IIRC.

brock
      Participant

Hello, just got my H90. Very cool despite my limited knowledge. 1. Can a program have the same effect on both A and B? 2. Can a CTL be configured for channel switching an amp? Thanks!

1).  Yes.  Series & parallel can give you wildly different results.  Stacked, or isolated instances.

2).  I haven’t tried it, personally.  I could be wrong, but I don’t think it will do ‘relay’ switching.  But if your amp accepts MIDI, I can see where you could ‘bind’ a switch to the amp with program or CC messages.

apalazzolo
        Participant

I have started a new thread with your question.

brock
      Participant

im very interested to hear more from your view, especially on how H90 would be an improvement over multiple H9. I bought into your previous thread of running multiple H9 (3 xH9 max out) and is struggling if I should go with the H90

I’m going to try to be objective here; I’m not a salesperson.  You can do many of the same processes with 3 h9s that you can do with an H90.  For me, that involved a lot of cabling, mixing, MIDI planning.  That’s an integrated process in the H90; kind of a gestalt whole over configuration.  Program hierarchy over “H9” A & B, but that doesn’t do it justice.

Quick examples:  You can swap the algorithm stacking order in two H9s; changing presets, sometimes re-cabling.  Press a Quick Knob in the H90 to swap presets or routing.  You have 3 separate HotKnobs in the H9s.  They’re all adjacent in the H90 (plus more).    Lots of quality-of-life enhancements over separate boxes.

Nothing wrong with how the H9s sound (primary requirement).  So much more headroom & processing power in the H90.  I’ve read the specs, played the units side-by-side, … the H90 does sound subjectively ‘better, cleaner, clearer’.  That’s the primary concern for me.  Also on the H90 plus side, the original H9 algorithms sound ‘better’.  There are parameter adds on many, more control over them, and the algorithm tweaks & advanced processing are very audible.

I have to mention that the new H90-exclusive algorithms are very good; among my favorites.  Now, is that because they’re new (to me), or are they that groundbreaking?  Again, trying to be objective, somewhere in between.   They’re currently my favorite part of the H90 release, and yet much of the time I’m combining enhanced H9 algos in newer ways.  Embarrassment of riches.

It’s a chunk purchase.  I always research the death out of any major outlay before committing.  “Can I do this with what I already have?”  But if it tells you anything, I’m contemplating a 2nd H90 purchase, while rotating out a couple H9s.  Too soon to tell if that would be the best route for me to take.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

For anybody with further H90 questions, please create a new forum thread with a title that reflects your question instead of posting in the comments here. This will make it easier for us and other H90 users to find the information.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Sorry! My bad.

brock
      Participant

Congratulations on what looks to be an amazing update/evolution of the H9. As a current owner of a Max and 2 Cores on a couple pedalboards, and considering how to upgrade, I wanted to clarify/confirm whether the H90 offers the same “access to all algorithms for other registered pedals” for H9 core/standard pedals like the H9 Max does.

Yes, you have all of the ‘Factor / H9 algorithms already in-the-box, plus the 10 new algorithms.  As for the presets within those original 52 algorithms, there’s sorting for a list of H9-specific presets.  I don’t know that there’s all of the H9 Factory presets in there, or if it’s a curated subset.  But any preset (Factory or custom User) that you’re lacking can be imported into the H90.

It’d be a good idea to dump all of your H9 presets into a few Preset Lists, for import later on into the H90.  A chore I haven’t begun yet.

nene
      Participant

Thanks Brock. I agree, the sound quality is my top priority as well. I have 3 H9 with a boss switcher. Thus routing is not my primary concern. Besides the new algo, Im really interested with the instant flanger and phaser in a pedal format.

PS, I deliberately not watch any video of H90 launch/review to stop the urge to GAS. Wanted to hear from people like you and apalazzolo for your thoughts if it’s going to be an improvement over multiple H9 before I place my order 😜

apalazzolo
        Participant

IMHO the H90 is a ridiculously good value for anyone deep enough into the H9 to have two of them.  If you plan to sell two H9’s and you live in the US, an H90 might cost you $300, net.

It adds 10 algos right away and this is the beginning of a product lifecycle that might last 10 years.   Additional algos (free or otherwise) will come and they make the value proposition even more compelling.

Since the H90 can operate on two separate signal paths, I bet you can swap out 2 of your H9’s will little modification.

I have imported about 200 H9 presets (three lists).  That went smoothly except that I had to manually assign an expression pedal to the ribbon controller ranges of my H9 presets.  Meh.  Not that bad.  In practice, I’m only using about 12 preset pairs on a regular basis anyway.

There’s a lot more, but IMHO that much is already a no-brainer.

DaGuy
      Participant

One of my buds loves a feature on some Source Audio pedals where the expression pedal can be configured to trail (say a delay) when the foot is completely down. I told them that with so many parameters in the H90 that it might have something like that.  This would be a game changer for him. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

I’m not exactly sure what feature you are referring to, can you provide an example of this, maybe a video that shows it?

The H90 does feature bypass tails which all a delay or reverb to continue after you bypass the Preset, and the spillover feature allows you to load a new Program while the previous Program’s tails ring out.

DaGuy
      Participant

Let me try again. This time I found a link for a video (with an Echelon delay pedal)  that shows off that feature at 2:30.

https://youtu.be/kSB–FeYtBo

The delay trails are allowed to ring when the expression pedal is brought down to its lowest travel position.

Is this possible in the H90, how so?

Thanks!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, this is possible by mapping any of the Delay’s Mix parameter to an expression pedal. https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.1.2/content/edit-modes/parameters.html#mapping

DaGuy
        Participant

Not having any luck getting this to work. To rewind, just looking to hear the trails when the expression is at heel down. That way the expression doesn’t chop the beautiful trails. Can you please provide an example along with the steps? That would so appreciated. Thanks!

apalazzolo
        Participant

There are prolly different ways to do this.  Here are my thoughts …

I think there are a few variants of this effect.  In both cases the dry signal is always there and the exp pedal selectively applies the delay or reverb.  In one variant, the effect is totally removed with the treadle at the heel position.  In the other, there is still some effect in the heel position (it’s just that more is added when the treadle is toe down).  I have attached H9 screen shots for both variants where the effect is delay.  The lower end of the range in the PitchFuzz example is about 1.1 or 1.2.  You can convert this to the other variant, by using 0.8 instead (or you can even go lower … even to 0.0) if you want.

This should work in the H90 using one of the two preset slots.  The second preset slot is still available for use and these two slots can be either in series or in parallel.  Obviously, this is delay.  I haven’t done this in the H9 with reverb (or even tried).

The H90 obviously can run the two different paths in parallel.  I’m guessing that that fact allows you to create this effect with virtually any reverb or delay.  One parallel path  is dry (or maybe modulated or distorted if you want).  The second parallel path is mix =100 reverb or delay and the preset input parameter (in the General parameters section) is controlled by the exp pedal. It needs to range from something really low to about zero dB.    That should allow you to selectively apply reverb and or delay like on the video.

Good luck.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        apalazzolo
        Participant

And here is a way to do that with reverb on the H9 or the H90 using the DualVerb algorithm (see attached screenshot).  In this example, I basically turn reverb B off but you could obviously add a little reverb in there if you want.  This only uses one of two preset slots of the H90 so you still have power to do something else there if you want.

Good luck!

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        DaGuy
        Participant

These are really good ideas, will try them out soon. Thank you very much.

If we had a SEND/RETURN to algos then we could assign the expression pedal to the SEND and then allow the RETURN to keep ringing. Right? Hey Eventide Dudes, this would be a killer feature.  Oh well, perhaps is already there and I don’t know it 🙂

Cheers apalazzolo!

DaGuy
      Participant

Aha! Thank you, very much appreciated!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.